CHAPTER 6: First Day

And so, now we have it here. Today's the first day of classes. Myunhee was very excited. New classmates, new schoolmates, new professors, new environment. Everything is so new. It makes her feel so fresh. Her mood was so perfect until Keith came. He was there to fetch her. Kevin was also there. Making sure that Keith is behaving the way he told him to be.  

But the atmosphere was a bit awkward. It's their first time to see each other again after enrollment. Their fathers felt the unusual mood between them.

"Hey, you two. Whatever the problem is, settle it now. Or else both of you will be marked tardy on your very first day in college." says Kevin. 

"I know what's wrong. Myunhee told me what happened. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you about it, Vin. I didn't think it would be a big deal for them." Richard explains. "Let's let them fix it the way they want to. Now, go. The two of you, into the car now, please. Myunhee, control yourself, okay?"

"Yes, dad." She kissed her dad goodbye and waved to Keith's dad, Kevin.

"We're going, dad." Says Keith.

"Proceed, then. Take care, son. Myunhee, you too."

"Thanks, Pa."

Inside the car, all Myunhee can hear was a deafening silence. To fix this, as she knows she can't expect anything from Keith, she initiated to talk.

"Keith,"

Keith drove off, no reaction.

"Keith, I want to get this settled right away." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Okay, I admit it, I know I was wrong; and I knew it all along. But, something about you... which of course I would not like to talk about, as it may cause another argument again. But look, I'm being honest and regretful now. I'm sorry." Myunhee, facing Keith; imagined herself and her face as she does this, she felt humiliated so she looks forward on the road again. She begins scratching her nails to chase her tense off.

"I'm sorry, too."

What exactly did she hear? Keith said sorry? She really looks so stunned now. She faces Keith, but Keith's attention was all on the road. (This is right for anyone who drives, of course.)

"I'm so hot-tempered. What you did wasn't actually a big mistake. It's I who made it a big deal. It's just that I always get irritated so easily. And I'm sorry about that. I know it's something I should change within me, but I feel like I just can't. That's why I'm sorry. I hope you understand."

To Myunhee, it made him look more handsome and respectable because of what he did. It's not usual for a man to submit his apology just that way. He admitted how wrong he thinks he is.

Again, cricket silence.

Myunhee sat straight. "This is killing me. We're fine now, then. It's settled. Now, can we regard each other as friends already? "

"Friends?" Keith laughed a little.

"Yeah, friends. why?"

"Ok, nothing, I just thought the idea of being friends is a funny thing. It's nothing, don't mind me."

"OK."

They safely arrived in school. As Keith pulled the hand break and locked the car, Myunhee walked towards him.

"Shall we come together?" invites Myunhee.

"Let's go." smiles Keith as he starts walking with Myunhee towards the hallway and all along. They searched for each of their rooms, then finally separated a few minutes before time.

Most students look at Keith as he passes them. They recognize his face, but don't know his name. When he entered his class, nobody knew him. That made him feel a lot easier.

Meanwhile, in Myunhee's class, even on her very first subject, she already got recognized as a brilliant student. The topics interest her a lot so she talks about everything she knows in class so spontaneously. Her seatmate, a smart girl as well, but excels more in Math and singing rather than speaking, talked with her a lot after their first subject. She admires Myunhee's wit. Myunhee sees the same in this girl, too. "I see you also have a lot of great ideas, why didn't you speak of those a while ago in class?"

"I'm afraid to speak aloud. I was nervous feeling that I may not meet up with their standards. Especially when you started reciting one idea after another, I felt so little. I'm not good in communication and language subjects especially when I have to speak out."

Myunhee laughed. "What? Ha-ha. Listen to yourself. You actually have a lot more ideas than I do, and they are far better than those which I have. Stop belittling yourself. You must be confident. In fact, none of us will be in this university right now without passing their standards. So, why worry about that. You're thinking too small of yourself. ("

"Thanks a lot. (" humbly says Hannah.

"Umm... By the way, what's your name, pretty girl?"

"Ah, me? Hannah. Park Hannah. You're Myunhee, right?"

"Is it that easy to remember? Ha-ha. Aren't you hungry yet? We still have thirty minutes before our next class. Will you eat with me?"

"Let's go. ("

So Myunhee enjoyed the rest of her day with this cheerful girl.

On the other hand, Shinhae didn't have as much fun. She spent her whole day sulking about being transferred to this university. Although we can somehow tell that she is still having a somewhat special treatment because her mom asked the university to keep her registry a secret and she also belongs in a special theatre class, she still doesn't like it this way. Her secret presence in this university won't stay as it is for so long - sooner or later, students will get to know it then how will they think of her? She felt so bad about it. After classes, her work duty calls. So she went to their shooting set immediately.

"Good thing you arrived on time. Put on your make up now, and then wear this. Have you already read the MV script?" says Felix.

"Yes, of course. Why do you have to be so troubled?"

"I am your manager. It's not surprising that I'm behaving this way since I am responsible over you."

"Okay. Okay. When are we gonna start to take?"

"After a few minutes. Just get ready; Directress Courtney will take care of everything else, okay?"

Shinhae sighed, watching herself in front of the mirror as her stylist fixes her hair.