Chapter Eight

Nate's POV

First day always went slow but surprisingly it when super fast. Even better I was in four of Arianna's classes. What are the odds? I thanked the man upstairs. He was really thinking of me. I stirred the chicken around in the fry pan and checked the rice. Mum had ordered me to give her a descent meal before she left. She was off again tomorrow. Although things were etchy between us at least they weren't completely bad, right? I pull out the chicken tonight sauce and put it on the bench. I look back over at drake, who was glued to the screen playing COD again.

 He was seriously becoming addicted to it. I take a piece of the chicken out and put it into my mouth while it was still hot. It burnt my tongue a little but it tasted delicious. I pulled out the orange juice and poured myself a cup. When I drank it, it kind of tasted funny. You know the feeling of something cold running along a burnt surface. I roll my eyes when drake swears at the TV and turns it off in anger.

'dude calm your farm' I say laughing as I put the orange juice away. He glares at me and shoves himself onto the stool facing me. I lean against the bench sipping the juice.

'you calm your friggin farm' he says and I snicker a little.

'dude don't freak, it's just a game' I said and he glares at me again.

'yeah I know it's just getting to me'

'then stop playing'

'stop...playing?' he said it like it was a foreign language. I nodded while laughing and he was still processing it. He shakes his head and glares at me.

'you were considering it weren't you?' I ask him curious and he nods shrugging.

'oh man I almost forgot. There's someone I want you to meet tomorrow night. She's my new...girlfriend' he says smirking at me and my mouth actually drops open.

'girlfriend?' I ask him just making sure. He nods smiling whilst shaking his head.

'yeah, hard to believe right? Drake settles down. Plus Nate she's a keeper. Definitely' he looks back at me curiously and I look away. Now way was he going to give me that talk.

'yeah whatever drake. Hmm I give you two weeks tops' I smirk turning off the chicken and rice. They were cooked now and as I stirred in the sauce drake went and grabbed out three plates. After I finish serving it up I put the leftovers in a container and slip it into the fridge. Drake carries his plate and cutlery to our dinner table in the side room. I follow him with my plate and mums.

'mum!' I yell out sitting down next to drake. Mum comes downstairs in her pj's. She has a spoon in her mouth and I could see chocolate smeared on the side of her mouth. Her eyes were puffy and she was definitely super upset about something.

'oh right dinner, silly me I forgot. Is it okay if I eat in my pj's?' she murmurs and we both nod. She puts the spoon at the end of the table and I look up at her. There was no way she was happy at this point. She was just putting on a brave face.

'so boys how was your first day?' mum asks after she wipes her face with the jumper sleeve and then digs into her meal. I pick at the chicken. I was no longer hungry.

'same as it ever was' I murmur and drake shakes his head.

'hey mum I've invited my girlfriend over tomorrow night, cool?' drake nudges me as I look at mums reaction. She drops her fork and almost chokes on her chicken. She looks at my brother like he was insane. I laughed and took a fork full of rice.

'what? Is it not possible for someone to have a committed relationship in this house?' he says glaring at both of us. Mum giggles little and puts food in her mouth.