Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A day after their meeting, Sorin and the Doctor walked casually towards the operating theatre after getting off on Level sub B. They were in thoughtful silence, unlike how they usually were. Doctor Singh, constantly re-running the tests they’d performed on the man in his head, while making sure he stepped on no lines that divided the tiles on the floor. And Sorin, who knew what he was thinking. Who ever knew.

The man was due to have surgery that morning, but due to his rapid recovery rate, it was no longer needed and the operation was cancelled. The Doctor still ordered for him to be left in the operating theatre. Shannon, the nurse who had originally run his tests, was busy with the same chart that had all his results while standing next to the man’s bed where he lied. The two of them came walking in, the Doctor looking slightly anxious as he snapped out of his daze. “Good morning. Shannon, I’ve prepared a list of the tests that need to be administered before we begin--”

“There’s no need Doctor,” Shannon interrupted smiling. “While you were gone, I instructed the night nurses to do most of them, and we did the rest this morning.” She handed him the chart, noticing his puzzled expression. Satisfying his compulsiveness and perfectionism, he skimmed through it. 

“Ah, all here. Efficient as always,” he said as he looked up from the chart and catching her eyes on him.

“You forget how well we know you Doctor,” she replied beaming. 

“Don’t we all,” Sorin added with a smile too. The Doctor regarded both of them for a second, and shook his head, “Whatever. I trust we’re ready to begin?”

“About ten minutes Doctor. Just about done setting up,” she gestured to her left as the rest of the medical staff were going about their duties. 

The Doctor nodded, and responded, “We’ll be in the viewing room.” Sorin followed as the Doctor moved to the right to a door that opened to the scrubbing area, and then to a staircase that lead to a room that had an overhead view of the operating theatre. Three computers were stationed there with two screens each. The Doctor went straight to the one most centred to the room and closest to the glass, and made himself comfortable.

“So what are we doing today,” Sorin asked arms folded as the Doctor turned on the monitor.

“Trying to figure out what makes this man tick. We haven’t been able to do much in regards to analysis since we’ve had to wait for his swelling to subside. And judging from the tests, it should be safe.” Sorin nodded to the Doctor’s response.

“You don’t need Nixon for this?” Sorin asked in realisation to the fact that the doctor was not present in either the theatre or the viewing room.

“Not necessarily, although it is a shame that he may miss out on this,” the Doctor said in disappointment.

“And why is that,” Sorin asked interested.

“Well, Nixon and I started developing a technique and device that would enter a sedated body to find any discrepancies that may not have been detected through usual medical protocol, especially those coming from the likes of The Creek Realm. It’s how we’ve been saving so many lives in the past year or two.”

Sorin sat down beside the Doctor, his way of giving his undivided attention to what the Doctor was explaining. The Doctor so ordered Shannon to bring in the device. He had now changed to a second headset, designed for medical staff for examination and operating purposes only. 

Coming back from the scrubbing room, she walked in to the theatre with a suitcase locked with a code, and set it next to the still unconscious man on a desk usually set for operating equipment. Upon opening it, she picked out a miniature device that was encased in reinforced glass. The device was no bigger than a fingernail. With extreme care, she placed it on a second desk that was next to her.