Chapter 31

The destruction of the landscape, although secluded to the cove, was at a concerning scale. The once picturesque scene of lush vegetation, calm and clear rock pool waters and magnificently jutting rock face was reduced to a muddy, debris ridden and dismal sight. Little of its former glory was left as Protan stood amid the very centre of the somber atmosphere.

He stood wrestling with the events that had transpired not an hour ago, taking in all he had seen in terms of both horror and wonder. From even more astonishing abilities, to the morbid death that had surrounded him continuously, his guilt still ate at him, knowing full well that his hands were washed in crimson with the blood of those that had fallen or injured, be that enemy or friend. He additionally understood the difference in the two terms, yet since he had arrived, the matter of where he stood with those he surrounded himself with seem to blur the connection between that of foe and ally. Even though he had come to know many a good heart, he could not avoid the nagging voice in the back of his mind that something was amiss. He had felt unwelcomed many a time in his short arrival, yet, in the very Realm that had been proven to be of his origins, not only was that feeling overwhelming, it additionally bred thoughts of ostracism, loneliness, and the intrusive thought of being watched.

What felt eerily concerning, was that for some reason, these exact thoughts ignited a greater urge inside of him after the sorcerer had mentioned the word seriklo, translating to minion. As much as he despised the term, it created some strange connection in his mind to the thoughts that plagued him.

It rattled him so, that he could barely make sense of any of the notions forming in his mind, so he tried with all of his will to distract himself.

Around him was a bustle of people that roamed the area in various locations amid the debris of rock, sand vegetation. He had followed them via portal, noting that the Alpha and Beta were smothered by interrogation, medical and security staff.

As much as he had done as much he could, not only did he feel it vain; his efforts would always be judged, and he would rather be away from an unrelenting space.

These same unfamiliar people set up perimeters, while others facilitated and guided mixed groups of adults and children towards certain destroyed locations. Besides the fact that these groups had clearly been ordered to arrive from the base, Protan still found himself intrigued by them. Children yes, but the adults seemed additionally somewhat obscure.

Nearest to him, a group was being facilitated by a young petit woman, but what drew him to her was her gentle yet assertive manner as she addressed both the children and adults, the former making up the majority of the group. His feet guided him toward them, and as he neared, he found security operatives as well as an additional facilitator that assisted her, yet seemed more concentrated on the organization of the group.

“Ok my little ones,” sounded her voice, slow paced and clear. “Remember, just like we practiced ok? And, one…two…three…” Protan watched and listened as she stood slowly, her hand dancing in a slow sway, and she began to hum in a sweet, harmonic tune, her voice a natural soprano. Her hand kept the beat as it swayed left to right, and before long, all of her group joined her in a soft, slow melody that settled over the immediate atmosphere. Protan watched and listened intrigued, as both the children and small collection of adults took part in what seemed like a séance. Their heads swayed left to right, and the facilitator began to mimic hand movements that all followed soon after. Not only was a musical talent evident within her voice, but her ability to gently sway her subjects without force was admirable. Protan smiled lightly as he watched her guide them into different directions toward different lumps of debris, and they walked over to each slowly, almost lazily as the music that now embraced them set a nonchalant mood around them.