Chapter 18

Protan sat with his back up on a bed in Level Sub B with a blood pressure strap to his arm, connectors at his temples, a few more at his heart cavity, and Doctor Singh guiding a light before his eyes examining his vision. Within the ward room, many were present, scattered in different parts of the large white room similar to that of which Protan had awoken in. Each engaged in their own conversations while Doctor Singh continued his examination procedures with Nurse Shannon and moments before joined by Doctor Nixon too.

Protan had originally been taken to the clinic. Also situated on Level Sub B, the facility was run as a separate entity from the rest of the medical floor’s main base and structure, as it catered specifically for medication for common ailments, with onsite general practitioners and pediatricians. In many ways, it was a glorified pharmacy that took good care of the residents of those at Fort Knox, meeting all of their immediate needs without delay. As a clinic would, it also housed equipment for any emergencies, and as it was the first and most accessible stop after Protan’s episode and collapse on the Main Floor, Doctor Singh chose to use their casualty ward. But upon his near instant recovery and the lack of important resources for Doctor Singh in terms of equipment, as well the fact that the clinic was at its disconcertingly busiest one had ever witnessed, Protan was moved to the more advanced and better equipped facility.

Amid the many scattered, low conversations, one group’s topic had been spoken about at intense depth since the departure from the Main Floor: “Commander, I am certain. I saw it in his eyes. There was something else there. I don’t even believe that Doctor Fourie is necessary. We can address this ourselves.”

“Ya can’ be sure of tha’. I saw a delusional man that cracked. Doctor Fourie will confirm tha’ I reckon,” Enigma counter argued David’s point. The two of them stood with Sorin and Taproot in their respectful circle in deep thought since David brought the matter up moments after they’d made their way to Level Sub B.

“I know what I saw Enigma. He was right in front of me. She will be wasting her time.”

“Bollacks. This is cut and dry, and we seen it enough times over the years. No arguing that.”

“It’s not the same ese,” Taproot interjected, “burned out and delusional agents are one thing, but completely detached?” He shook his head before he continued. “Still can’t help feeling that he’s bad news. At the same time that I agree with Enigma that he’s head’s not there, I still feel there’s a reason for it.” He sighed, then turned to Sorin, “Commander?”

Sorin stood arms folded in white eyed thought, “I was completely removed from the situation. I bared no witness until the very end. So I cannot comment in that regard. But if what any of you say has a hint of truth, something is definitely out of place. The Creek definitely followed him here in more than one form.”

“With all due respec’ Commander, but you honestly believe these episodes are not just pure hallucination and detachmen’?” He lowered his voice and moved in closer. “You know what we’re implyin’ if you don’.”

“I am aware Enigma,” Sorin replied, “it bothers me too. But as always we have to consider all possibilities. Right now it’s a matter of any calculated and plausible explanation that is professional. You are all professionals, and in that judgment we should trust.”

The three nodded in understanding, yet their thoughtful expressions still lingered.

Their conversation continued while Doctor Singh sat and continued his examination. Protan’s expression was one of boredom, and he breathed a sigh as he spoke: “Doctor, please. Do not waste any of your time any further. I am fine.”

“I’m not sure if I agree with that Protan,” Singh replied as he took a vile of blood. “If you saw what any of us did, I think you would disagree too.”