Chapter 25

Ashrin rolled from his bed after lightly and carefully moving the leg that had been stretched across him. He froze as the woman stirred and groaned, but she simply rolled over and extended her arm across the bare chest of the second that laid beside her at the opposite end of the bed. Ashrin eyed her breasts, then the shapely buttocks of the other outstretched across her. Licking his lips lightly, he considered waking them, but watching them sleeping so deep and soundly, it was clear how much rest they had needed. Not even Sunkan prostitutes, his favourite kind, could keep up with his virility. Instead, he threw on pants and boots, took his coat that clinked lightly with that of potion vials from the stand, and quietly made his way out of the room.

He strolled down the long stone corridor nodding as he passed his guards, a few sharing a look combined with both pride and amazement. All that was short was an applause for his efforts that were obviously heard in the bedroom. He simply remained nonchalant and kept his typical grin fixed.

He climbed down the spiraled stone staircase that led to his main hallway. He passed the dining hall where his Dontaran kitchen maids caught his eye. They gasped quietly, and would’ve brushed their hair behind their ears had they had any. He nodded to them as he continued on, and eventually reached his brewing room, unguarded as he preferred.

Closing and bolting the door behind him, he stepped forward walking toward his table and lectern in the middle of the room. His smirk remained as he continued his pace toward the lectern. He stood paging through the tome, and said in a stern mocking tone: “Should have just used the main entrance. That way I would not think that you are here to kill me.”

As he paged, his eyes lifted from the tome to see a figure move from behind a massive book case ahead of him that spread across the wall. The figure was hidden by the shadows as the room was light by only one window to Ashrin’s left, and lit wall lanterns cast only the faintest of light within the massive room. As the figure walked casually toward him, Ashrin heard the fluttering of robes behind him, “Tell your lover there is no longer a need to sneak.”

The figure, now noticeably hooded, stopped two metres ahead of him, sighed and spoke in a low tone, “I see you have not changed much sorcerer.”

“You know what they say,” Ashrin replied as he now began to page backwards, “if one changes, he must have a reason. I have found none. Why change myself when all is blissful?”

The figure behind him responded, “It is difficult to argue with that I think.” Ashrin simply shrugged as he smiled at the answer, paging slower now and taking more care as to what he was looking for.

The figure ahead moved closer, “That is close enough Drawl. And Molton, I would much rather have you in my sights.”

With that, Drawl removed his hood, his glowing head and eyes piercing the shadows eerily. To his left, Molton approached arms folded, white hair a dull glow beside him. “So, what can I do for the emperor’s Counsel members. Or should I say, the emperor’s tools.”

Drawl snarled, but Molton simply smiled. “I must admit that I have missed your presence Ashrin. Your humour never grows dull.”

“Reminds you of the days spent in this very chamber does it not,” Ashrin said. “Strange how those days feel only like yesterday. But then again, we may all remember them differently.”

“That is irrelevant,” Drawl spat, “as much as our relationships have changed, the past has no business being brought up in this conversation.”

“Oh Drawl,” Ashrin said with a smile, “why such hostility. I am merely keeping conversation from feigning.”

“I did not come here to be mocked sorcerer,” Drawl growled. Ashrin looked up at those menacing eyes, yet he saw the frustration he hoped to find, and it was more than satisfactory.