Thirty One

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

    “Please don’t hurt me.” the young woman pleaded as I dragged her across the room .

    “Listen to me.” I said stopping and making her face me.  “I don’t want to hurt you.” I added sincerely, searching for a place to either hide her or hide myself.  “But we must do something and quick.  My resistance to not drink from you is slowly slipping away.”

    “I’ve seen what your kind does.” the girl sobbed, trying to tug her hand free from my grip.  “You’ve killed my family.”

    My kind.  I couldn’t begin to understand what I was and I was already being judge by it.    

    Feeling sad for the young woman and the thought of her loosing her family, I knew that time was running out.  I needed her to trust me.  To help me before it was to late.  “What’s your name?” I asked letting her go.

    “Sally.” she answered hesitantly, taking a few steps back and away from me.

    “Sally.  My name is Melanie and I swear to you, that I am not like the others.  I don’t want to hurt you.  In fact all I want is your help.”

    Melody ignored me as she ran throughout the room, searching for a way out. 

    I let her.  Moving out of the way and curling myself into a tight ball on the ground.  I could feel my stomach growling.  It felt like it was actually eating itself.

    “Don’t suffer.  Just feed off her.  She means nothing.” Zack’s voice suddenly said thru the loudspeakers. 

    “Fuck you!” I said, gripping on to my stomach harder. 

    For a couple of minutes Sally searched high and low.  Resulting in only giving way to desperation as she gave up and came to sit on top of the bed.  Looking down at me, pity clear in her face.  “There’s no way out.” she stated all hopes draining from her.

    I couldn’t bring myself to speak, the pain was just to great.  It wasn’t enough that it was clouding my vision but it was now also clouding my judgment.  All I wanted to do was give in to my need and feed from her.   

    “Stay away!” I yelled as I felt her shift closer to me, the smell of her blood reaching my nose again, almost driving me insane.  “I can’t stand your smell.”

    “There must be a way.” Sally said looking at me with worry.

    An idea suddenly came rushing to mind and I was off the floor in a blink of an eye.  “Where are you wounded?” I asked.

    “My arm.” she answered hesitantly.

    “Let me see.”

    Obediently Sally showed me her right arm.  There was a deep wound that went down her elbow to her wrist.

    “They cut me before pushing me inside.  They said that once you smelled my blood you wouldn’t be able to resist it.” Sally whispered.

    “But I haven‘t, haven’t I?” I asked, looking straight into Sally eyes.     

    “No, you haven’t.  At least not yet.” Sally conceded.

    “I have an idea.  A way I might be able to control my thirst until we find a way out.”

    “What is it?” Sally asked hesitantly.

    “Please hear me out before you jump to any conclusions.” I stated before I began… 

Erick’s POV

    “Dagan, are you sure this is the place?” I asked, exiting yet another empty room.

    “Yes.  I’m certain.” Dagan answered, beginning to show signs of worry.

    We’d search each and every room in this abandon building and their was no sign of Melanie anywhere. 

    “In here.” Armand yelled.

    Without waiting for Dagan to follow me, I ran down the stairs, following Armand’s voice.

    “There’s Melanie.” Armand stated pointing at a glass wall.

    Looking at where Armand was pointing at, I was more than relieved to see Melanie still alive on the other side.   But the moment I managed to take the whole scene before me, I became completely numb.  There she was, my mate, the person I’d been searching for, for the past couple of days, kneeling over an unmoving body, blood covering her hands and clothes.

    “Melanie.” I yelled, running to the wall.

    “Over here.” Dagan stated, opening a door.

    Unsure of what to expect or how to handle the situation before me, I slowly walked my way to Melanie.

    “Melanie?” I asked, standing a couple of feet away.  “Melanie” I continued to say as I got closer.

       Letting go of her prey, Melanie turned to look at me.  An insane look in her eyes as she couldn’t bring herself to focus on me.

    “Melanie.”

    “Erick? Is it really you?” she asked, looking up at me with surprise and uncertainty, licking the blood on her lips.

    “Yes.  It’s me.” I said standing over her and her prey.

    That’s when I realized that the person on the ground wasn’t dead, she was willingly allowing Melanie to feed off her.  Melanie hadn’t been eating her, she had actually been licking the blood pouring out of a wound.  Enough blood to control her thirst but not to satiate her.

    “Oh Erick!  I knew you were coming for me!” Melanie yelled, getting up from the floor and throwing herself on me.

    Unable to believe what was happening, I was slow to take it all in, hugging her back tightly.  The smell of blood reaching my nose making me realize just how hungry I was.  It was hard to have the smell of fresh blood on the air and not have a zip at it.

    A new appreciation for Melanie invaded me.  Melanie was a new turn.  New turns as law needed more blood than most and were barely able to control their actions.  Not only had she control herself, but she had saved the life of the young woman who was now standing from the ground.