Twenty Nine

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE - THE CALL

Erick’s POV
    Sitting on my desk, my back to the door as I looked out the same window Melanie so many times used to relax, I was a little startled to hear someone come in.  turning to look over my shoulder I saw that it was Armand.  A worried look in his eyes. 
    “My friend, you need to feed.” Armand stated concerned, coming to sit on my chair. “This isn’t helping anyone.”
    “How the hell am I suppose to feed when I know Melanie is out there somewhere in need of my help?” I asked angry at myself, not able to look at Armand.  I was the responsible for what was going on.  Not Armand, not Dagan and definitely not Timothy and Janine.
    Unexpectedly the phone rang.  Picking it up on the second ring, I placed it on my ear.  “Talk.” I ordered.
    “Is Armand there with you?” Dagan asked concerned.
    “Yes.”
    “THen put me on speaker.” Dagan ordered, exhaustion palpable in his voice.
    Putting the receiver down, I did as asked and put the call on speaker.
    “We are ready.  What have you found?” I said.
    “What I’m about to say, you wont like.” Dagan began, a note of desperation in his voice.  “Dr. Belask did indeed perfect the serum.”
    “And you know this how?” I asked.
    “We were able to penetrate Annabelle’s mind.  We now have an idea of what we are facing.”  Dagan hesitated.  “ We were also able to gather information as to her whereabouts.”
    “That’s great.  Where is she?” I exclaimed, jumping from my desk, ready to go find her.
    “Before you go, there are things you must understand.” Dagan continued seriously, before pausing.
    “Tell us.” Armand urged, pulling me to sit down.
    “It’s about the serum.” Dagan continued.
    “What about it?” I asked, starting to get annoyed with Dagan.  Why the hell was he stalling?
    “It was not created to make your typical Immortal.  It was created to make a different kind of creature.”
    “What do you mean a different kind of creature?” Armand asked concerned.
    “Those who Dr. Belask chose for his experiments, where all genetically chosen.   He created what he likes to name the No Fangers.  These no fangers are very similar and very different from our on species…”
    “Dagan stop with the conspiracy nonsense.  Tell me what I need to know.” I ordered.
    “Dr. Belask first experiments were a little tough to handle, they turned mad after the turning, so he had them executed.  Each experiment gave a different result, only one in common, from which their name derives from.  The name no fangers come from the very fact that their teeth do not extend like ours.  The need to take in blood or feeding becomes a very desperate situation.  With no teeth they have no choice but to bite into the flesh of their prey and sometimes even eat it.”
    “That would had explained why Melanie was bitten so many times.  One or two of  her captors must have been No Fangers.” Armand stated concentrating in every word Dagan spoke.
    “Yes.  I’ve come to that conclusion myself.  There’s more.  Unlike most of us, they can not feed off bagged blood.  Apparently, the blood with which he managed to mix the serum, was one from the few Immortals who have that strange genetic cell.  The cell that wont allowed them to feed of dead blood cells.”
    As I looked at Armand, I could feel the color drain off my face.   I had that cell.
    “Armand that’s what happened.  It wasn’t faith.” I said, very close to having a panic attack.  Melanie and I hadn’t been brought together by fate.  We’d been brought together by Dr. Belask.  “It’s all my fault.”
    “What the hell is he talking about?” Dagan asked worried.
    “I don’t know.” Armand confessed, looking at me with surprise.
    “He used me.  My blood.  He mixed the serum with my blood before giving it to the experiments.” I said to Dagan before turning to Armand.  “Remember that time I broke my fang, I had no memory  of  how it happened?  He forced me on Melanie, to test his theory.  He knew Armand would make me fix the fang… and as my potential mate, Melanie’s genetic system was design to be parallel to mines.  That way when I’d turn her, her genes would accept the nanos I gave her.”
    The room felt silent for a while as we all digested what I had just said.   Once Melanie’s system accepted the serum, she would officially be the first No Fanger.  And would probably be used for breeding more.
    “The first experiments, who’s blood did they use?” Armand asked concerned.
    “I believe they were random.”  Dagan answered.
    “I’m sorry to be the one to say this, but, Melanie will no longer be the person you knew.” Dagan stated slowly, sincerely.  “She’s going to become a cold blooded killer.  Her need to feed would cloud her judgment.”
    “I know my Melanie.  I know she’ll stay strong.” I said cutting off the connection.