History

CHAPTER THIRTEEN - HISTORY

Next day…

    “How are you holding up?” Armand asked concerned, entering my prison as I put down the book I’d been reading.

    “I think I’ve gone crazy.” I answered honestly, drawing a smile on his face.

    “I’m sure your not.”  he stated sitting on top of the desk, facing me.

    “Why are you here?” I asked surprised, Erick had told me he’d gone out of the country.

    “Erick asked me to keep you company, since you didn‘t want his.”

    “And you always do what he tells you.”

    “Most of the time.  Yes.” he stated sincerely, watching me with wonder.

    “So if I tell you to help me escape…”

    “I wouldn’t even think about it for a second.” Armand stated in delight, clearly enjoying my discomfort.  “Not your discomfort but your ability to keep calm, focus.”

    “Can you stop doing that?” I asked feeling exposed.  I still couldn’t bring myself to believe that they could read minds.

    “Sorry.  I’ll try.  But when in fear, people transmit their thoughts willingly.”

    We became silent for a while, just looking at each other.

    “Erick hasn’t realize that you have a strong mind.” he stated, picking up a box and putting it beside the bed.

    “Is that suppose to make me feel better?”

    “It was a compliment.” Armand said sincerely.  Taking a few books out and laying them out on the bed.  “Our history is in these books.”

    “Vampire history?” I asked surprised.  “I didn’t think you guys bother with those things.”

    “Immortal history.” he corrected.

    “Immortal, Vampire.  What’s the difference?”

    “You mortals believe that vampires are cursed, that they can no longer walk in daylight so on and so forth.  We immortal could do all that a human could do.” Armand explained.  At my baffled expression, he thought about the best and simplest way to approach the subject.  “You are a doctor, right?”

    “A dentist.”

    “A dentist.  So you understand science.”

    “Yes.”

    “What if I tell you that our immortality or our vampirism which you call it, was not due to a curse but cells that were created to cure deadly diseases.  To repair damages done to the human body.”

    “You mean like nano technology?”

    “Yes.  Exactly.” Armand stated, giving a sigh of relief.  “The problem is that although they were created to autodestruct once the damaged cells were corrected, they never did.”

    “Because our bodies are always in need of repairs.”

    “Correct.  The nanos are in our blood system.  Giving us strength, power, speed, quick healing abilities, etc but for them to be able to repair the damages, they need new blood in the system.  Blood that is not infected.  It’s like having anemia.”

    “So when you said that vampires, sorry, immortals are not cursed.  What does that mean?”

    “We could do whatever humans do.  We are alive.  We have souls and feelings.  We  can go out in daylight.  We have reflections.  We eat junk food just like you.  We could die.”

    “You could die?” I asked completely surprised.

    “Yes.”

    “But if you can die, doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of being immortal?” I asked a little confused.

    “The only way we could die is by being burned alive or decapitated.”

    “Not with a wooden cross or silver.”

    Laughing, Armand finally sat on the bed beside me.  “No, but I could tell you that a stake to the heart could really slow us down.  Hurts like hell too.  We call ourselves immortal because it’s not every day someone is burned alive or decapitated.  Every other injury we can heal from…  In my entire lifetime, I’ve only known of a handful of death this way.  And they were all rogues.”

    “Rogues?”

    “That’s what we call those who don’t follow the rules.”

    “Rules?”

    “Every society has laws and rules.”

    “So, how old are you?”

    “How old are you?” he asked back, teasingly.

    “Sorry.” I said, understanding that I was being rude.

    “I’m a little over two thousand years.”

    “Your kidding me.”

    “No.” he said bursting with laughter.

    “There was nano technology back then?”

    “You would be surprised at the things our ancestors knew back then.” he said pointing out a book from the bunch.  “This book will explain in detail how the nanos were created and how the world was once destroyed by a flood.  Destroying most of our developments.”      

    Staring at Armand I was happy to know that I at least had a friend in this weird situation.   Picking up the book he had pointed out, I began to pass the pages.  “How come I don’t fear you?”

    My statement completely took him by surprised as he stared at me in disbelieve.

    “I mean, I’ve heard so many tales of vampires, lycans, monsters and stuff, yet I feel completely comfortable when I’m around you.  In fact, I feel more comfortable around you than with Erick.  Its hard to explain.”  

    “Listen, Erick is your life mate.  It is normal for ….  Finding a life mate can actually… lets just say it that he isn’t quite himself around you at he moment.  Neither are you if we speak with the truth.”

    “How could you possible say that?”

    “Have you not noticed that you and him, haven’t been able to have a decent conversation since you met?  For example, the way you and I talk.”

    “But…”

    “Believe it or not, your body has already recognized the signs of a life mate.  The attraction, the similarities, the possibilities.  But until your mind realizes it and accepts it, you will find yourself lost.”

    Looking at him a bit skeptical, I decided best not to press the matter further.  For now.

    Watching him stand, I did the same.  Taking his hand before he walked away.  “Thank you.  For explaining things.  It’s a relief to know you guys are just like me.”

    “You’re welcome.” he stated giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

    “Well this is interesting.” Erick stated entering the room.  Obviously     misinterpreting the situation as he gave Armand a deadly stare.

    Unafraid, Armand laughed his way to Erick’s desk.