Chapter 20: The Elder's Court

Chapter 20
The Elder's Court

A day has passed since Dave and I's ice cream date. It's not even a real date, but it's close to it. I remember myself looking at his luscious and sinful lips as he shoved the spoon in his mouth. I remember nearly having a heart attack just because of how sexy he looked while eating ice cream. The news has spread like a wild fire and they're all talking about the same thing. Dave has a wolf. He's the first human that has been turned into a werewolf. It's not like we're keeping it as a secret, but it's bound to be known. But it's so soon.

Dave is looking frantically around the Elder's Court.

The Elder's Court is something fancy. With its strong columns sinking deep into the ceiling and the ground, enough to support the whole house is something that you should admire. This Elder's Court has been here for a long time. Legend says that the first pack of werewolves had lived here. So it's been a long time. The walls are painted white, and the ceiling is so high and elegant as it displays the beaming chandelier. On either side of the walls, there are 36 portraits, displaying the previous leaders of the Elder generations. Right now, the current leader of the Elders is Chanteloup. It's pronounced as Shaan-te-loop. I guess.

As I look at the portraits, I can't help but think that these Elders had risked their lives to save wolves. Elders are also werewolves, and they are the ruler of the wolves. Even the Great Alpha bows at them to seek advice because they are full of wisdom. In fact, Chanteloup was the one who told us that Kieran had broken the Forbidden Law and he must be contacted as soon as possible. He helped us with everything he could just to save us. He was only the reason why Cloud remained sane despite the havoc that Kieran and Cloud had caused to each other. Cloud nearly went ballistic and feral, wanting and begging to be with his mate. It even went to the point that he was begging to be killed just so the pain would end.

After that, Cloud had told me the experience, and it was the worst feeling ever. According to him, in his own words, without your mate by your side, not knowing where she or he was, it "feels like you cannot feel anything but pain, and the pain cannot be compared to any pain that we've felt in our lives while growing up. It's not the pain you get when you got tripped over a rock and your knee got scratched on, revealing the flesh and pouring out blood. No, it feels like your heart is being ripped out of your chest and even without heart, you can still the pain".

Cloud's words are still buried inside my head, replaying like an old broken record. I'm afraid that it would happen to me because let's face it, the Great Alpha nearly couldn't survive the pain. Cloud is much stronger than me, and I'm only his Great Beta. So there's high chance that I'd get killed because of the pain. I'm afraid that I'd go ballistic and feral, and I might hurt Dave/Peitho, which I don't want to happen. I'd rather die than to hurt him, or anyone, especially my mate.

The Elders begin to fill the room. In front of us are the Elders' seat, and Dave is in the center. To a mere human, it looks like Dave is about to be judged for committing such sinful crime, but for us werewolves, this is just a formality of Dave being accepted as one of the pack members. Of course Kieran and Cloud are here, and they are seating behind us, as well as the other pack members plus the Alphas and two Luna from the other packs. I'm behind Dave, standing just near beside him just so I could show him my support. I want to make him feel that I'm always there for him no matter what happen.

When Chanteloup scans the crowd, he rests his eyes at Dave, his eyes burning with something we cannot point out, and his eyes are flashing yellow, his wolf showing up. From the moment that happens, I already know that there's something. Chanteloup knows everything with just one glance, whether you have a status or not. He could identify with just one glance whatever blood you have. In fact, Chanteloup, when first meeting Cloud, he already knew Cloud is a Great Alpha of all werewolves, the Alpha of the Alphas, basically King of the Werewolves, when he first looked into his eyes.

"Good evening, everyone." His voice rings in my ear peacefully. He's always calm and in peace, like how Elders should act. As he takes at the center of the slope table, beside him are the other Elders. His right hand, Shane, hands him a curled paper secured by a red ribbon. Everyone bows, even the Great Alpha and Kieran, giving respect to the Elders. It seems like Dave is not sure what to do, so he joins us instead rather quickly, his hair falling down as he bows... exaggeratedly. I nearly laugh but suppress it.

Chanteloup is wearing a cream-colored coat, matching it with the pants with the same color, as well as a boots that lock the cuffs of his pants. His hair is pushed back, and the color of his eyes is icy blue and when he looks at you, it would seem like he's mocking you, or judging you, but believe me, Chanteloup is the best Elder ever. His height is just right around mine, but I'm a bit taller, and he's the same height as his right hand Shane.

He directly looks at the Great Alpha and his mate Kieran, and bows down, giving respect. "The Great Alpha and his mate," he says as he rises, smiling to everyone and his eyes resting on Dave, who is fidgeting and looking like he wants to just bolt out of the room, pack his things up, and go to Japan for good. "Ean Davidson Coffler, or Dave for short, is that correct?"

Dave nods furiously, his eyes wide as he hears the voice of Chanteloup that is so wide and deep. A smile graces Chanteloup lips, but it fades as Dave looks up at him. "Yes, sir." Dave mumbles like a little scared kid. I suppress a chuckle, but show a smile instead.

The leader of the Elders looks at the Great Alpha and motions him forward and Cloud steps up, moving beside the leader of the Elders. Together, they emit a powerful aura and the room seems glowing as both leaders stand in the front. "Tonight, we are in the Elder's Court for a such lovely and glorious event as the pack is going to have an additional member. This is, of course, requested by the Great Alpha Cloud Alistair Lylson. A pledge will be done by the newcomer, and the Elders here, and the guests, will be the witnesses of the event."

Everyone nods in agreement, and the Great Alpha steps up, raising his right hand and silencing everyone. "As you all know, Dave is the brother of my mate Kieran Lars Lockwood, and by all means, regardless whether he's a full human or not, I shall accept him into the pack with no doubts. With the consultation of the Alphas, and with their permission, we have decided to accept and welcome Dave into our pack. With the news spreading that Dave has become a werewolf, it's true. We actually don't know the reason, and that's the main reason why I have decided that there Elder's Court shall be used for the formality of accepting Dave as part of the pack and knowing the reason why he has got a wolf suddenly. This is a rare occurrence, and we shall know the reason behind this. In fact, Dave is the first human that has gotten a wolf for an unknown reason. In fact, Dave is the only human that has gotten a wolf after his soul has been transported into the Spirit Realm. We're going to arrange a meeting with the Shamans to know if there's a reason regarding this, but right now, we will consult the Elders."

As everyone nods, agreeing to what Cloud has said, Chanteloup steps up, smiling at everyone. "Dave, please raise your right hand and repeat after me. With the pledge being said, you're going to be officially part of the pack, and there's no turning back. Being part of a pack is being part of a family. When, if not if, you have become part of the pack, we will assure you a complete protection and a happy life with us." Dave nods. Chanteloup continues and begins to say the pledge. "I, please state your name, am pledging with a willing heart and fully-decided mind an allegiance with the United Packs, and shall protect my family, and act accordingly to the laws and regulations when under the pack's ruling. As everyone is witnessing right now, I am here, standing in front of everyone, at the center of the room, to tell everyone that I'm claiming my responsibilities wholeheartedly with no objections, and shall comply."

Dave repeats the words. Then the shouting begins, welcoming Dave as part of the pack, as part of the family.