Chapter 17: Storytelling

Chapter 17
Storytelling

Something tells me that after our pinkies hooked each other, Dave is telling the truth. He has this sincere expression plastered on his face that makes me want to believe in him more. But like I have said before, even though Dave did not do as he promised, I would never get mad at him because well, he's my mate. It's hard to be mad at someone you are destined to be with, even though Peitho and Dave don't see that, I'm going to make them see it.

Looking over across the field, where humans are strolling across the park. My eyes scan the area and rest on the couple that is holding hands with each other, and my heart clenches at the sight. Oh how much I wish to hold Dave's/Peitho's hand in public, where the world would be able to see how much we love each other. The longing and yearning, it's there, buried deep in my heart. This process, it requires a lot of time but it doesn't have a deadline. It seems like the words have been stuck in my throat, just staying there and not escaping my lips. It also seems like the air has been held in my lungs, and I can't breath as Dave's eyes meet mine.

"The people back in the land," I begin. I don't like to mention pack land or pack territories to spare myself from explaining further. Since Dave has a lot of curiosity, and he's very curious at everything, he would prefer to know why we prefer to have a pack territories. I know that. Werewolves are naturally possessive at everything they own, and we would fight to death for our rights and what's ours... to the death. "The people back in the land, where we stay, all of the people there have wolves." Before Dave speaks, I put my index finger over his lips, preventing him from speaking. His eyes become wide as he looks at me incredulously like I have grown another head. Practically, I can hear his heart beating loudly, pounding against his chest. Zane and I, we can sense the panic bubbling inside him, and if he wants to know more, he would have to stay with me. Also he would never want to leave his brother just because he's a werewolf, right?

I don't know who do I want to convince more, either Dave or myself. I can feel him trembling, and his hands are clenched. I sigh, looking down on my lap, putting my index finger down. I continue: "We are werewolves, including your brother. Werewolves are not some myth, Dave. We exist. We exist. As much as you want to deny it, you're a werewolf now as well, since Peitho the wolf is inside you. He's part of you. Two souls in one body. Human form is you, and when in wolf form, it's Peitho. Though there are times that the wolf can control the human form, if the human permits. Naturally, we were born with another soul, and that's wolves, but you, you were born a human, and then suddenly you got a wolf named Peitho.

"When I first met him, you were in the infirmary, Peitho took over your body and I got the chance to meet him. He was really nice, and told me that he was trapped in the Spirit Realm, um, the Land of Second Chances, for so long. He told me that he would help you heal as fast as possible, and of course, I believed him because wolves rarely lie. Though I was hesitant first, I let him use your body. Even though I didn't want him, I have no control over that. I just had to deal with what's happening. Dave, I know things are messed up right now, and it's probably too much to handle in your case, but we're here. We can give you a lot of time to adjust. We will never hurt you. Werewolves will never hurt you. You are part of our family now, and when a wolf is part of a family, we would do our best to protect each member. Till death.

"Please don't be mad at your brother for not telling you everything. To be honest, though it's not my place to tell you, Kieran hated us before. He was part of the family, and we... we used to beat him, call him names, and make fun of him, until he... until he decided to do something awful that we've regretted all. There's this law, and it's forbidden to break, and Kieran broke it. When he did that, his wolf had become separated with his body, and he became human. That day was the day when you bumped into him with your car... and it was the day I found out that you..." were my mate. I stop myself from telling that to him, as I don't want to shock him more that he is right now. As Dave scans his area, I see his jaw clenching and silence greets us. He doesn't speak, doesn't show any reactions at all. His face is just blank, and I don't have any idea what's going on with his mind. "It was the day I found out that you took him so you could take care of him. After that incident, we regretted everything. We were supposed to take care of Kieran and treat him as a family but we didn't because we were a group of dumb and assholes werewolves. After a year, we found out that you guys had been in a different country, and when Kieran got back, we immediately traced him because we wanted to say sorry and needed his help.

"Dave, there are two types of werewolves. Sane and insane. We are the sane wolves, and the werewolves who kill people and other werewolves are called rogues. They are feral, and they are the counterparts of us." I stop explaining to him and see his face is still blank but his hands are still clenched. I let out a sigh. I shouldn't have told him about this. Now if he runs away, it would be because of me.

Dave glares at a far distance and I can practically see the gears working in his head, trying to decipher the story that I have told him. It's too much to handle for a once-human, but whether he likes it or not, Dave is a werewolf now. One of us. Unless... No. Dave would never break the Forbidden Law, right? Plus you would have to chant and pray before the separation happens. The book that Kieran had used before, when we found out that he had read the book to get the idea of breaking the Forbidden Law, the Elders have decided to take care of it and they have hidden it somewhere where no one would be able to find it. Only the Elders know.

The tension is so thick that it could suffocate me, and there's a lump formed in my throat. My heart is hammering against my rib cage, and it feels like the Evil Goddess is playing tricks on me. If she were to see me in my state right now, I bet she would be laughing her ass off at me. From the stories I've heard to the other creatures, and from Troy the Enchanter, he made it sound like the Evil Goddess is really Evil, like real Evil. Probably more evil than Satan himself.

Finally Dave looks at me, and he sighs as if he carries all the burden in the world. Dave looks kind of tired. The way his shoulders hunch down, the way his eyes crinkle, the way he breathes, it looks like he's had enough of bullshit, even though he just woke up from a deep slumber. He looks at his hands, his hands opening and closing. The sight of him hurts me. Zane and I can feel the dread that is coursing through him, and Dave is unknowingly passing the fear he has to me. This is the moment where I just want to wrap his arms around him to keep him safe and protected. This is also the time that I want to shower him with affection and feelings. But knowing that I can't do that to him because he still thinks, or claims, that he's straight, it hurts me. It hurts Zane. It probably hurts Peitho, too.

"So I have a wolf now," whispers Dave as he looks at his hands intently. I nod at him. I reach out to him immediately, much to my shock, and reach for his hand, holding it with mine. What's more shocking is that Dave never pries it off of him. "And his name is Peitho." He chuckles, nearly laughing as he throws his head back. My brows furrow in confusion as I look at his laughing figure, his whole body vibrating as he goes on full laugh. People are starting to look at us, and to them, it looks like Dave has gone crazy. He stops laughing. "Can you please tell me how to deal with my wolf Peitho?"

******************************

Author's Note: Is Dave accepting Peitho now as his wolf? It seems like it! Friends, we're getting near! We're getting near! In my mother language, "KONTING PUSH PA". Hahahaha.