Chapter Thirteen: A Message In The Fire

The sounds of distant mumbles and whispers crept into his ears none of which he could identify in terms of their origin. His sight was darkened by the heavy shades of his eye lids fastened tight; the whispers grew louder as he felt his body float along effortlessly. But the reality was that he was being carried by Mylar going deeper into Peak Cavern with the rest of the Arturion army watching in horror. The only thing he knew for sure was that the pain in his shoulders hadn't subsided, and it was the only thing that gave him any indication that he was even alive. That was until the point he passed out from the pain as Mylar took a set of steps too quickly, jarring his wounded lump of a body. 

Mylar carried on unaware of the fact that his king had collapsed in his arms, Jamie was by his side urging him to hurry along until they finally came to the nearest set of bunk beds where they set him down carefully. Mylar stepped aside allowing their resident healer to get on with his work knowing full well how demanding and difficult of a task it was for him. 

"How bad is the extent of the damage?" asked Mylar as he watched Jamie check over his patient. 

"Not sure my medical knowledge is still pretty limited, but it's not looking good. The wounds were sealed by the flames as usual but they've gone pretty deep. He's probably going to have trouble using his arms for a while until the soreness goes away" he replied whilst placing a hand over each wound. 

The wounds were certainly deep and blackened beyond imagination, it had been lucky that Taylor hadn't had his arms severed by the brutal onslaught. As the white light began to spill out from his hands a shriek so shrill it pierced the air itself, and Jamie had to resist the urge to cover his ears whilst he did his healing. Kimiko came sprinting on the scene, her cheeks already drenched in tears but she was stopped in her tracks by Mylar's muscular arm enveloping about her waste. Her eyes were as wide as a deer caught in a set of oncoming headlights, and her body shook uncontrollably within his iron embrace. 

"Oh no! He's not dead is he?!" gasped Kimiko, so panic stricken her eyes did not leave Taylor's motionless form. 

"No he's just wounded, Kimiko. It's probably best that you're not here for this, it's going to take some time to get him fixed up and Jamie can't handle any distractions right now" soothed Mylar, gently turning her about and leading her out of the sleeping quarters going deeper into the cavern. 

Kimiko was still in ear shot to ear the gut wrenching screams bursting from Taylor's lips as the healing process began, she wanted nothing more than to go to him to hold him in his hour of need but she held back the urge as best she could. 

"Who did that to him anyway? Was it Noran?" quizzed Kimiko eager for any shred of information. Mylar took a moment before he replied so he could allow himself a moment of calm. 

"It wasn't Noran, in truth we have no idea who the man is that did this. He managed to escape amongst the chaos of our arrival as his brothers died around him" sighed Mylar. 

"Could he be a general we don't know about or someone from the beginning of the war maybe?" her questions were becoming more desperate, she clearly wanted to understand how something so horrific could have happened. 

"I doubt it; he didn't feel especially powerful to me. Honestly I believe he got lucky, after Derrek came back with the blonde girl he mentioned what had happened and I think Taylor was left weakened by over exerting himself. Taylor has a vast pool of power compared to the rest of us but even his pool can run dry if you get my drift" said Mylar. 

"I can't believe he was so stupid to push himself so far, after everything that's happened. After I only just got him back he decides to be reckless and gets himself hurt in the process" huffed Kimiko, her eyes yet again beginning to brim with glittering tears. Mylar stopped whirled about and placed a hand on her shoulder before looking her dead in the eyes and speaking.