Chapter 22: Swan Dinner

~~~~~Saturday The 15th~~~~~

Katnis had convinced Charlie to let Edward come over for dinner tonight and she was a bit nervous about it. Her father wasn't really big on having men over, especially men who had feelings for his daughter, though he is the one that invited him.

"Mmmm. Katnis, whatever you are making it smells amazing." Charlie says as he plants a kiss on her temple.

"Thanks, dad. It was one of moms' favorite." she says with a small smile, "Now, get out. I'll call you and Bella when everything is ready."

"All right. Just be careful."

"I will." she says, "Oh, dad?"

"Yes?"

"Will you let me know when Cullen makes it here?"

Charlie frowns a bit, "Sure."

"Dad." she says with a raised brow, "Be nice. He's kind of important to me."

"So, you do like him." he assumed.

She nods, "Yes, I do," she says with a diligent look on her face, "but not in the way that you believe."

"Are you sure?"

Katnis cocks her head to the side, "What if I did, dad? Would that be a problem for you?" she questioned purely out of curiosity.

Charlie met her gaze,"Are you trying to tell me that you like Edward?"

"Dad." she groans.

"Alright. Don't have a cow." he says before taking a deep breath, "Yes and no."

"What you mean yes and no."

"I don't ever want to lose you, Katnis. I know you're not little anymore but you're my little girl and the thought of someone taking you from me kills me." he says softly, "But I know that you're getting older and one day you're going to get meet someone, get married and start a family of your own."

Katnis makes her way over to her father and wraps her arms around his middle, resting her head against his chest, "No one can or will ever take me away from you or Isabella. I've told you before that my home is forever with the two of you." she looks up to meet his gaze as his arms circle her, "Even when I get married and start a family of my own there is no way that you and Bella aren't coming with me."

Charlie smiles, "You promise?"

She nods, "I promise."

He leans down and kisses her hair, "I'm going to hold you to that." he says.

"I know." she says pulling away,"Now, get out of here."

"I love you, Katnis."

"I love you, too, dad." she says before he walked away.

Once Charlie was out of the kitchen she quickly began setting the table. The food had finished while she and Charlie were having their father-daughter moment and she knew Edward would be there soon. She couldn't wait to see the look on his face when he took a bite of the food she'd made for him. She'd added something extra to his portion of food. She'd promised that she'd try and make it bearable for him.

As she placed the last glass on the table she heard a knock at the door,"Katnis!" Charlie calls from the living room.

"I'll be right there!" she says as she slipped out of her apron and took off her little chefs hat and placed them on the counter before making her way down the hall and towards the front door.

"Katnis?"

"Yes?"

"What happened to your hand?" Bella asked noticing it was wrapped in a gauge.