Chapter 17: Confessions

School had ended and Katnis was offered a ride home from Edward and she gladly accepted.

"So, Cullen, tell me about you and your family." she says,"You don't feed off the blood of humans but animals. Why is that?"

"My family, yes, we're different from others of our kind. We've learned to control our thirst. We only hunt animals because we don't want to be the monsters people believe us to be."

Katnis looks at him,"You're not monsters."

"Your scent is like no other we've ever encountered." he says,"It's hard for me to be around you."

She offers a small smile,"Practice makes perfect." she says before her gaze drifted out the window.

"You have to tell me what you're thinking." he says after a few moments of silence.

Katnis turns her head to look at him,"The truth?"

He nods,"Please."

"I'm afraid."

He glances over at her before turning his attention back to the road,"Good."

"I'm not afraid of you, Cullen." she says,"I'm afraid of being the reason you don't trust yourself."

"You shouldn't stress yourself with worrying about me." he says softly.

"If I don't...I'm afraid you'll disappear on me." she states honestly.

They come to a red light and Edward turns his head to look at her. Her eyes showed nothing but truth to her words and that alone caused Edwards heart to ache for her,"You don't know how long I've waited for you."

She smiles before reaching over and placing her hand on his cool cheek,"I'm glad you don't have to wait anymore."

He smiles,"So am I."

_______Skip To Swans Home_______

Edward pulls into their driveway and parks his car,"Hey, Cullen?"

"Yes, Katnis?"

"Would you like to come up to my room with me?" she turns to meet his gaze,"We could talk a little more and get ahead on homework.

"What about Charlie?"

"What about him?"

"Won't he mind that a male is in your room?"

"You're not just some random guy he's never met." she says,"You're the one guy who saved his daughters life. I'm sure he'll make an exception. " she says before getting out of the car.

Edward climbed out of the car and appeared at her side,"Cullen?"

"Yes?"

"I have neighbors. Could you at least ACT human?" she chuckled.

He smiles,"I can do that."

"Thank you." she says as she stopped at the front door,"One more thing."

"What is it?"

"How long can you hold your breath?"

He raised a brow at her,"As long as I need to. Why?"

"Did you forget what happened the last time you stepped foot in my house?" she asked,"Imagine what my room smells like."

He visibly stiffened,"Right."

Shaking her head, Katnis removed the cotton scarf that she had wrapped around her neck,"Here. This should help you get use to how I smell." she wraps it around his neck,"I'll also give you one of my sweaters to wear also."