Small Matters

3rd Person POV

After Wendy and Romeo had been lead to their room, Makarov left, closing the door behind him.

It was a decent room, pretty much like the infirmary ones; two cots, a dresser, a few lamps - only this room had a bathroom.

Romeo sat down on one of the cots and sighed, looking around the room.

"This place feels like a prison," he said, his voice echoing around the room. He heard a sniff and glanced over at Wendy, who was standing with her head leaned up against the far wall. Romeo opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Wendy.

"Don't," her timid voice wavered through the air, "I know that you're going to try to comfort me, or try to make a joke so it won't seem so horrible, but, please, Romeo..." She turned to face him, tears streaming down her cheeks, "just don't!"

Romeo was taken aback by the image in front if him. Wendy, the only girl his age who seemed to be stronger than anyone else at heart, the girl who'd spent years alone, crying her way through life, finally finding resolution with Fairy Tail, defeated a team of assassins, as well as participated in an S-Class ranking tournament, was breaking down in front him...because she felt as though he didn't care.

Romeo raised a hand towards her, but she looked away.

"Romeo, I'm sorry I put you through this. I don't exactly know how it happened, but I want you to know that I'm really and truly sorry," Wendy muttered, her tears dropping to the floor as she continued to cry.

Why is she beating herself up over this? Romeo wondered. I mean, it seems like she has no control over it, and Master said that she's going to be in a lot of pain, but why does it effect me as well? Romeo sighed and pushed himself off of the cot, walking up to Wendy. She looked up at the boy in front of her and cowered, fearing the rejection that was sure to come.

But it didn't. Romeo smiled kindly and knelt down in front of her, grabbing her hand and squeezing it in his own.

"Wen, I know it's scary for you, but you don't have to be sorry. I'm...actually the one who should be sorry..." He rubbed the back of his neck and laughed nervously, causing Wendy to tilt her head in confusion.

"B-but R-Romeo, why are y-you sorry?" Her voice wavered. Romeo blushed.

"I'm sorry for making you think that I don't care about you..." His voice was barely above a whisper, but Wendy heard. She blushed a deep scarlet, and then, without thinking, grabbed the collar of Romeo's vest, pulling him close. Romeo gulped and blushed as he stared into Wendy's tear-lined eyes, which were only mere inches away from his.

"Romeo," Wendy started, her voice slightly stronger now, "I want you to know that I'm going to protect you through this, no matter what. I know that I won't be able to control myself, but I want you to be safe, even if that means that I'm locked away and you're a hundred miles from me, just know that I'd come for you. I can't say that I love you... I'm not even sure what that is... But I can say this... I will always protect you, no matter what." Wendy released Romeo's collar and looked away, sighing.

Romeo sat awestruck in front of Wendy, staring at her- her long silky pigtail that cascaded over her shoulders, her beautiful brown eyes, her soft, porcelain skin, her...everything.

Wendy turned around to say something else, only to be greeted by Romeo's muscular arms embracing her slender body. She gasped and stared at the wall behind him, unable to speak.