Chapter 24

I Backtrack the hack

So here's the thing about hacks, they are handy dandy to get info out of any computer system you need to get info from, except for when that person also hacks, or at least, has the ability to retaliate. Here's why, you can pull any malware, virus, worm, exploit, etcetera, you want from rapid19 and use it on your target but there's always a trail that you leave when you do it. If the person you are targeting knows what they're doing, they follow that trail straight to your front door, and if they're even smarter? They pick the lock instead of kicking it down, then after they get what they want they set your information on fire and sit back with some lemonade and shades, watching the light show.

Basically, this is what I did to Bastion after he jacked my brain.

Of course he was (unfortunately) smart enough to hack me from an actual computer instead of his own AI, otherwise this whole thing would have been over and done with him drooling where-ever he is right now.* However, this computer did give me all kinds of data on what the heck Bastion did to the astroid base, and (as much as it pains me to admit) I'm impressed, as well as proud.

After all, it's not everyday you build something so secure that somebody decides to send it to another dimension instead of a frontal assault. And the best part?

We got the plans to the field gate projector he built to do it.

After I downloaded all that I uploaded a file that would erase my hacking into his PC, wait three days (in case he has automated backups), and then 'light his house on fire' as it were.

All the while I wore shades and drank lemonade.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bree, Peter, and Sarah have been avoiding me. Though to be honest I kinda deserve it for keeping the whole 'super awesome and dangerous military weapon' thing a secret. I had wanted to talk to them at lunch, but they didn't show up.

I sighed and knocked on Sarah's bunk door, waiting as I heard her call out, "Just a moment!"

Finally the door opened and she appeared, dressed in a tank top and short shorts.

She gave me a look, "What are you doing here?"

I kept myself from drooling and , "Look, I know you're mad at me for not telling you about Tom, but do you guys seriously have to avoid me to make me feel bad? You're literally the only friends I have on this entire ship."

I saw a small smile tug at her lips, "That sounds like a you problem."

I raised my eyebrows playfully, "Then I'll make it an us problem!"

I swooped down and flipped her up onto my shoulder, walking into her bunk and tossing her onto the bed.

She grabbed a pillow and threw it at me, "You jerk, an apology would have been a lot easier."

I shrugged, "I like to go big."

She smiled again and gestured to my arm, "Can we talk about it now?"
"I resent her objectifying me, I'm an intellectual entity, I meet the requirements of being a person."

I nodded, "Yeah, but he says he resents you Objectifying him like that."

Her eyes widened, "I am so sorry, I forgot he was actually an A.I. "

"I except her apology, however, you would do well to remind her that I am many times smarter than her."
I related the message, minus the intellectually degrading part.

-------------------------------------

After about an hour of hanging out and catching up with Sarah, I did the same with Bree and Peter as well. Eventually I got them to see that I was keeping quiet out of both my preservation and theirs, though Peter didn't believe me that I could beat him at chess without Tom's help.

I now sat down in one of the engineering bays side rooms, with Pix, Captain Alexander, Commander Sharp and a hologram of General Quade.

"I think we call the recovery of the astroid base impossible and leave it at that." This was General Quade.

"Oh yes, and leave 150 of the Alliance's greatest minds trapped in another dimension, I'd love to see how that would turn out if they ever figured out a way back." Pix snapped, the two of them had been at each other's throats since the start of this meeting.

"Noah succeeded in retrieving plans for the extra-dimensional field projector, I don't see why it's a terrible idea to attempt rescuing them." Cut in Captain Alexander.

"In this case I actually agree with Captain Alexander, it seems logical that if we have the tools, resources, and skills," she gestured to me at that last part, "then I don't see why we shouldn't attempt a rescue."

General Quade looked like he just ate the most sour tasting lemon head you could think of, "And if it's a trap?"

My turn, "Then you might actually get me out of your hair general, but until then? Well, I've got a rescue to plan."

And just like that the meeting was adjourned, the vote for a rescue (nearly) unanimous.

---------------A/N--------------

Finally got this sucker out! Leave a comment if you know about any of the references I slipped into the first part of the story, I'd love to chat with you all about it!

-gmoney2123