Chapter 11

The Shattered Zone

I sat forward in my chair, muscles tense in anticipation for what was about to occur.
Today we were entering the Shattered Zone.

I was on the bridge with Pix and Commander Sharp, The Titan gradually rumbling forward toward the fake digital barrier that represented the edge of Shattered Zone.

"Gravitational field sensors have begun picking up on the black holes."

Commander Sharp turned towards the technician who spoke, "Analyze the fluctuations and begin filtering it from the search systems, I want everything that gives off its own field to be readable."

"Yes, Commander Sharp." And soon she was tapping away at her keyboard, hard at work.

I sighed quietly as we passed through the barrier that was displayed without a problem, no fanfare, no massive shuddering of the ship, no alarms. All in all rather anti-climactic.

I leaned over to Pix, "I'm going to go down to engineering."

Pix simply nodded, so I went on my way.
--------------------------

Down in engineering I began tinkering with an abandoned project that I had pulled out of the scrap bin, after asking around I had tracked down the guy who had been working on it and he emailed me any notes he still had saved to his tablet.

I don't know what it was about fixing or making things, but it relaxes me. Even Sarah, Bree, and Peter each had something that calmed them; Peter had chess, Sarah had books, Bree had cleaning (odd as it was). Time seemed to slide by as I worked, and when I checked Tom's chronometer I was surprised to find it was nearly 0100 in the morning.

"It seems that when you reach a particular state of mind your own sense of time dilates, making it seem longer or shorter, depending upon the 'direction' of the dilation."

I cocked my head, "Does that mean you could trigger it at will?"

There was a pause, "Yes, I believe so, though what would be the purpose?"

"By slowing down my perception of time it would allow me to do numerous things in the space of seeming seconds, that kinda stuff can save lives in combat situations." I replied.

"Indeed, though be warned, doing this in large quantities can cause jet-lag and a sense of disconnection and un-realness to life." He said ominously.

I nodded, and walked up to my bunk, rolling the concept around in my head.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was woken up at 0900 to the sound of Tom 'yelling' at me.

"Alliance combat ship Titan is under attack, mobilize to battle stations."

I immediately sat up and pulled on some fatigues and a tee shirt, sprinting down the hall before I even got my arms through the sleeves. I flashed towards the elevator and hit the button for engineering floor.

Then I sat and listened to calming elevator music

And I waited..
And waited...

When the doors opened I was met with,
Nothing

The engineering bay was empty.

-------------A/N------------
I honestly feel like this is a good stopping point, but don't worry about waiting three weeks until the next update, by the time I upload this the other one will already be completely done (or close to it) and I can confidently promise it will be uploaded Tuesday after noon.

Thanks guys! Please remember to vote and comment!