Chapter 9

Making our move

I stepped off the dropship and onto the floor of the massive hanger bay we had landed on, the mission a success and everyone safely back meant I got something that seemed to be short supply these days: some sleep. I yawned and headed up to my bunk, putting away my combat gear before collapsing on the bed.

---------------------------------------------------

Tom's internal Chronometer told me I had only been asleep for fifteen minutes before an announcement began, and though it was good news I would have preferred it if they had waited a few hours.

Commander Sharp's voice came on the speaker system, "Attention everyone, I'd like you all to stop what your doing and listen closely. As of a few minutes ago we were given permission by the alliance council to enter the Shattered Zone."

At this point I began hearing startled shouts of fear from people in the nearby halls as he paused to let the information to sink in before continuing, "Now, the Council wouldn't let us go in if we were to die. Thanks to our resident biochemist, Juliane Defray, a serum has been developed that will enable its par takers to be immune to radiation poisoning."

I already knew this stuff, and had actually talked to Juliane about some of the progress she had made recently.

"Along with recent advances to nanotechnology thanks to our massive engineering team, we are now completely able to enter and survive in the shattered zone for months at a time, barring any unforeseen problems."

I winced, not the most inspiring way to end an announcement.

"Thank you all for your service as we journey into the unknown!"

I smiled at that as cheers rose from people outside my bunk.

------------------A/N--------------
I know this is short, I'm kinda just dipping my toes in for the moment and getting refamiliarized with my own story. Next chapter will be a lot longer guys and gals, I promise!