Chapter 2

January 19th 10:04 am

I watch as Harry eats his last piece of bacon. He's one of the slowest eaters I've ever met. It use to bother me how slow he'd eat. It seemed like he'd be on one piece of food for hours. But now I just love the fact I can spend time with him, because time only lasts for so long. That day at the hospital still buries deep in my mind. It lurks in my dreams, and haunts my nightmares. It was the first time I'd ever felt something inside of me die.

~~~~~

We wait at the hospital. The waiting room nearly empty except for one small family. Their son lays in the emergency because he had a metal pole through his head. I'd known as soon as I heard he wasn't going to make it. It felt like hours later and Harry and I were still waiting for the doctor to tell us the news. They wanted Harry to come to the hospital because they saw something in his scans, but they wouldn't tell us what. Harry had been feeling under the weather for a long time, but he never told manage to tell him just how long. I made him get a scan right away. I wasn't taking any chances. I wasn't going to lose him too. A doctor came out but it wasn't for us. He walked over to the family and told them the news. The mother lost it. She belt out a scream and layed crying on the floor.

"No. There must be some mistake." The father said. Trying his best to comfort his wife.

"I'm very sorry sir, but the pole was just too close to his brain. We tried."

I tried my best not to stare but the sceen in front of me was just too hard to ignore. What if that's me? What if something happens and Harry has to go into the emergency and they come out to tell me Harry is dead? The thought terrifies the hell out of me. My body starts to shake and Harry immediately notices.

"Are you cold babe?" He starts to take off his jacket.

"No. I'm fine. Just had a little chill for a moment." I say as I start to rezip his jacket. We sit there for awhile before the same doctor comes out again. I pray that its for us. It is. He makes his way over to us, his right hand extended forward to shake ours. Blood from some other patient still remains. Dried up around his finger nails. Showing the pain and suffering they went through. His hands are old. Old like time. You can tell he's been here a while, and that he's gone through a lot. I remember looking at him and wonder how many people he has watched die. How many people he's told bad news to. How many people he's seen fall apart right in front of him. How many other Harry and Louis'. How many young kids in love, who've had to watch their best friend, their love, their life, slip right out of their hands. I wonder how many times, he's had to tell families that their son or daughter didn't make it. I wonder how he can look a mother in the eyes, and tell her, her proud and joy now lies dead just outside those doors. I wonder how he's able to live with himself.

"You must be Harry." He says shaking Harry's hand. Harry flashes him a smile. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you to sir."

"And you. You must be Louis." He says looking at me.

"Yes."

"You two look really happy together." He says with a smile.

"We are." Harry says interlocking our fingers together. "He's my everything."

The words flood my heart with joy. The doctor has a sad look in his eyes but he put on a smile. At the time it puzzled me. If only I had known.

"Alright you two. I've kept you long enough. Lets go see those scan results."

We walk into his office and take a seat. He walks out to go grab the results. I see the panic and fear in Harry's eyes. I reach over and grab his hand for comfort.