Preparing For Attack (Ch. 10)

Sting's pov

I stared at the spot the Rebal had been standing in. He was long gone by now. I hadn't tried to stop him, I was to shocked. The worst part was, that I believed him. I believed what the enemy told me. I couldn't explain it. It just felt right. I blinked and looked down.

If what he had told me was true.... then the king was evil and corrupt. He had already murdered two people. I've been working for a murdered. I couldn't believe it. I was working for a killer! A killer! I squeezed my eyes shut. Maybe I could help the Rebals.

"Sting, I hope you're ready for what's to come."

That's what he had told me. Are they planning to attack soon? To finally take out the king and his court? I wasn't sure whether I was glad or worried. I decided, that I won't help the Rebals, but I won't fight them either. I won't kill any. I'm going to try and stay neutral from now on.

I turned around and walked back to the palace. I was no longer confused. I know, that what I'd been told was true. Every part of my body was telling me that. I won't fight. Not anymore.

Rogue's pov

I made my way back to the base. I quietly opened the door and walked in. I opened the second door and saw all the Assassins in our group were there. I had a feeling that Freed had decided to storm the castle. I knew that he was going to plan it all out carefully, and I was going to help him.

I walked through the crowds of people. They all stared at me in shock. There 'dead' leader was back. I walked over to my office. I opened the door and all four of my replacement turned towards me.

"R-R-Rogue?! You're alive!" Freed cried. I smiled. I waved to them all. I noticed my fourth replacement Levy, stare at me in shock. The other three stared at me in joy.

"We have much planning to do, no?" I said. They all nodded. They instantly went from happy to serious.

"I managed to get a pretty good idea of what the castle's defenses are, and it seems that the king is relying completely on his three generals. All the other guards will be no match for our group. I have also talked to the leader of the generals. I have concluded that he will not be fighting us."

Rufus frowned at me. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"I allowed him to ask me a question. I told him why we are fighting. I told him the truth."

They all stared at me in shock. "Does he know who the prince is?" Freed asked. I shook my head.

"I did not see any need to tell him. I only talked to him. I never showed him what happened all those years ago...." I said. Freed nodded in understanding.

I walked over to my desk and sat down.

"I am only concerned about general Orga and Laxus, as well as their newest knight, Erza Scarlet. If we are to succeed, we must attack as soon as possible." I said.

"We are also going to have to find a way to make all the citizens remember. I have decided, that while you all fight the guards, I will go on the highest point on the roofs and cast a spell so that everyone in town will remember. Once that is done, I will go after the king. If any of you, defeat a general, or are free to do so, you may go after the king."

"I am only, giving Jellal, Freed and Rufus this option. Is that understood?" I asked. Levy looked annoyed, but she nodded.

"That's all. We attack the castle. That's all I have planned for the moment. That's all I need to plan. Please go tell the others what I just told all of you." I said.

They all nodded, then left. As they walked out, I kept my eyes on Levy. I just didn't trust her. I wasn't sure why though. She was very intelligent and has been loyal so far.... but I just can't shake this feeling of distrust. I shook my head and sighed. Soon, all of this will be over.

I will finally be able to stop fighting and will accomplish my goal. Once the prince is crowned again, I will leave Crocus. For good.