Chapter 100

What if?

What if today is my final day of asking what if? What if today is my final day of doubting? Because what if my worries are almost always about losing him and what if today means I will never lose him again? What if today is the beginning of the rest of my life?

What if? What if? What if...

---

I straighten my dress before the mirror, letting out a nervous sigh as a smile dances upon my lips

My body feels energised with excitement, my heart thumps fast as I begin to pace back and forth to calm myself

My body feels energised with excitement, my heart thumps fast as I begin to pace back and forth to calm myself. It's only minutes until we stand before a registrar and claim our love for one another. We decided to have a civil ceremony, everyone else however protested that they wanted to help us celebrate the day so once the ceremony is over we are heading from the justice building to the meadow where there is a whole party planned by the former planner herself, Effie Trinket Abernathy.

Tick tock, tick tock. The arena was a clock, the world is a clock. The time is ticking down to the moment where my world will change in one way but at the same time nothing will truly change. Peeta and I will still be the same, promising to stay with one another was enough for us but marriage is something to just express your love to everyone around you, everyone you love to show that your relationship is real. My mother is not here today. Peeta had convinced me to send her invite, telling me I would regret if I didn't but the reply never came, not even a letter. I felt some bit sophisticated for finding it in myself to even invite her but not one part of me was surprised with the missing reply. But today is not about her, not about everyone who will be waiting outside this building in an hour. No, this is about Peeta and I.

Effie finishes off my hair, adding the final touches before placing the comb aside and sighing with a grin at my reflection in the mirror.

"Perfect"

She says, clapping her hands together, a gleam of success in her eyes. I have to admit she did a beautiful job as much as I protested for my usual plait

 I have to admit she did a beautiful job as much as I protested for my usual plait

It looks elegant and simple and I know looking at it that Peeta will love it. I turn to her and say with a huge grin on my face, as I know in my head the time nears