Chapter 99

What if?

What if now that all is different so are we? What if without realising it we have all learned from this experience, taken memories from this experience? What if life may be different but still just as good? What if as the door of caring for Sophie closes another one opens, opening us to millions of possibilities and opportunities that will also fill us with joy?

What if? What if? What if...

---

What Have I learned from this roller coaster of 4 years, of my whole life? The answer is simple. That life goes on. You fall, you get back up. You get lost, you find yourself once more. The cycle is endless as well as constant. Either way the outcome is always getting back on your feet, rising above the obstacle. It's how humanity lives. It's how we live. We heal ourselves, we heal one another. And that's how I adapted to not having Sophie to care for anymore. The first few weeks were hard, there would be times between the both of us where one would walk into her room and for a moment wonder where she is. There would be moments where I would just go into the bathroom and sit on the tiles, clutching her bear to my chest and breathing in the scent of her. These moments are just one of those times where one needs something to clutch onto, something to give you reassurance.

The first day she was gone we were mostly busy, it being the triplets birthday we spent most of the day at Haymitch and Effie's. It was only when we arrived home with no work or distractions when things felt more lonely. The house felt almost hollow. But then we started getting back on our feet, moving on. We started receiving letters from Sophie, since they are back in district four and got a picture of her with Dara.

He looks so like her it's crazy

He looks so like her it's crazy. They may not be identical but they do have similar facial features. You would know by looking at them that they are brother and sister. She seems happy, the way Madge describes things she is happy, she has adjusted. Peeta and I have found ourselves adjusting too, the bakery continues to thrive and the wedding nears with each day. There is still moments where it feels like something is missing, like we have forgotten something. But as time goes on our love fills the gaps, we fill the missing spaces with our lives, our happiness as well as our troubles. But no matter what the case there will always be a place in my heart for Sophie Hawthorne Undersee.

---

Peeta's POV

Adjusting is a struggle, eventually a habit and finally its not at all needed. That cycle took place within the time after Sophie left. At first it was hard, you'd be looking for her to be refreshed with the memory she is no longer there with you. That's how it was for a while then as time went on life and reality took over and the sadness and loneliness wouldn't be as frequent. That time is now, is always. But we still have each other and our love and that's what keeps us going, keeps us happy. Katniss seems to think the same, she's livened up a lot in the past few months. We both have bad days, but all I need is to see her bright and promising smile and I know that everything will be okay. We will be okay, always.