Chapter 23

What if?
What if this could all just end? This whole life, this struggle? What if at the press of a button I could be happy? But what if this is my faith? Faith to never be happy again? What if Gale comes back? What will I do then?
What if? What if? What if...
---
When I reach victors village the movement of the wind have dried the tears on to my cheeks.I make my way quickly to Peeta's house and knock on the door a little more aggressively than intended. After a minute there is still no answer so instead I open the door.

"Peeta!"

I call his name as I walk through the kitchen to the living room. No sign of him, no noise. The only thing filling the silence is the sound of my heart beating. The loud and fast thumping surrounding my ears.
I check all downstairs. Nothing, no one. Then I realise

He's gone to Haymitch's.

My feet react before my mind and within seconds I am slamming his door behind me whilst making my way over Haymitch's. My breath is fast, my heart still pumping rapidly as I run up the steps to his door. I run in whilst shutting the door behind me. I then come to a halt at the door into the living room. And there he is. Standing before Haymitch, Effie and Sophie with a look of shock and disbelief across his face. And then all eyes fall on me .

I see many things in their eyes

I see many things in their eyes. In Haymitch's confusion and shock, in Effie's the same and then my eyes settle on Peeta's. His face is confused and shocked still, his expression hasn't changed since I came here. My eyes shift to Sophie who sits on Effie's lap, silent and uncomfortable. She looks at me with her bright green. She grasps her hand on Effie's sleeve. When Peeta glances at her she buries her face into Effie's shirt. She begins to nap silently, not bothering to take anything in around her.

She doesn't know what to make of the situation, she's never seen me cry and never met Peeta

She doesn't know what to make of the situation, she's never seen me cry and never met Peeta. It's overwhelming her and I only wish I could scoop her into my arms at this very moment. Tell her it's okay, even though it's not. Of course its not. I pull my eyes back to Peeta's as he says in a dead tone to me

"What is going on here?"

Nobody says anything for a long time. My arms hang by my sides trembling along with the rest of my body. Peeta speaks again, his voice small for the beginning then evolving into an angered yell