Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Killers And The Drive-In

Dedicated to GoldenSkiess for all her lovely comments :)

 I can only imagine how utterly ridiculous I looked that day, jumping from room to room, going through old photos, cleaning a vacuum cleaner, and organizing everything in my closet by color and season. If I didn't know any better, I would say I have OCD. It's okay though, because I also tested myself online that day.

“You need to get some help!” Sammy said from behind me. I was hunched over in the fridge and was rearranging the condiments we had by jar size and color. The cold air from the fridge wafted around me and started to make me shiver.

“Would you say the jam jar is bigger or smaller than the pickle jar?” in both my hands I held said jars as I turned to face Sammy. Her face got that I-can't-believe-you-just-asked-me-that look and I decided by myself that the pickle jar was definitely bigger. After fitting it in it's correct position beside the mustard I closed the fridge and launched myself into the living room and started to search for something else to do, Sammy followed right behind.

The couch made a small pft sound as I sat down in it and started to search Netflix for a movie I hadn't watched yet. Sammy stood beside the coach, her foot tapping on the carpet and arms crossed. It took only a few seconds before her stare down finally got to me and whipped towards her and shouted “What!?”

“Why are you acting so weird?”

“I”m not acting weird.” I defended.

“No normal person rearranges our fridge for fun.” she paused, speculating my reaction, “What's up?”

“Nothing.” Wow, my lying sucked today.

“Sure, sure, it's totally nothing.” sarcasm dripped from every word, “Have any plans tonight?” she asked.

“Sleeping.” I fought off the knee-jerk reaction to slap myself in the forehead. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

“Want to go to a movie? I hear Harry Potter is playing at seven.” She was totally testing me, and I was miserably failing.

“No, I don't think so. Why don't you ask mom to go with you?” I suggested, my eyes pleaded with her. I was trying to telepathically get the message through, and Sammy seemed to understand.

“Okay, then, I'll ask her. And what are you going to do while we're gone?”

“Sleep, walk, study, read, eat, shower, breathe-” Sammy chose to cut me off then.

“Okay, I get it. You want to be little Miss Anti-social. Whatever! Have fun by yourself tonight.” I could almost swear she emphasized the words 'by yourself' and I saw a hint of a wiggle to her eyebrows as she gave me one last look before walking away. I ignored it and returned my feet to their resting position on the couch and searched through the channels before finally settling on watching Mythbusters for an hour. After this I ate lunch and tried tried to find something, anything else to do before 7:00 when I would have the house to myself and I could get ready for tonight.

I was waving to my mother's black car from my bedroom window as they pulled out of the driveway and left to go to the movie. Not a second after the car disappeared I almost leaped into the shower and started the hot water and lathered my long brown hair. I'm not sure what was making me want to get all fancy for Dylan. The last time we hung out I was in jeans and hoodie, my hair piled into a pony tail and my face makeup-less. But something inside me, I guess you could call it butterflies, was making me extremely apprehensive for tonight. My hair had to be perfect, my outfit flawless, and my face beauty-fied.

And so I emerged from the shower with only two hours to accomplish mission impossible. To me, my hair looks it's best when I let it naturally fall down in it's endless curls and waves, so I added a bit of mouse and let it be wild. And next, the task of picking out the perfect outfit. It can't be to dressy, too casual, too pink, too sporty, too spy-y, or too girly. I think every girl can testify to that moment when you walk up to your closet, search it for a good twenty minutes, and then yell out in frustration “I have nothing to wear!” when your closet is completely full. Yeah, I was having one of those moments.