Chapter Eighteen: I'm Still Standing

I opened my eyes and my vision was extremely blurry. Every inch of my body was aching and at the same time somewhat numb. One of my eyes wouldn't come open all the way which was strange. My vision gradually became clearer and I observed the room around me.

The walls around me were the general shade of tan that you see in offices and hotels. Monitors and devices sat everywhere and I was wrapped up in a white blanket and sat on a white bed that had rails on the sides. I looked at my arm and saw an IV tube stuck in it. Bit-by-bit my memory returned to me and I came to realize why I was in this hospital. The man.

He disgusted me. He was revolting, repulsive, and ugly in my eyes. He was the one who did this to me. He was the one that caused everything to go wrong. He was cruel and sadistic. I detested him.

I tried to sit up in the hospital bed but a sharp pain in my side stopped me. I whimpered slightly and clutched my side tenderly. It was wrapped up with heavy white bandages. I looked at my ankle. It was also wrapped and elevated slightly. I wanted a mirror so I could see my eye. My arms where full of purple and blue bruises and I could almost taste the gritty sand in my mouth.

My mom entered into the room and her eyes widened and her mouth went slack when she saw my open eyes.

“Oh, honey.” she rushed to my side. “Are you okay? How are you feeling? Do you need more medicine?”

“No, I think I'm drugged up enough.”

“Oh. I better tell the girls! They will want to see you!” She stepped away from my bed and turned her back on me and I watched her call one of my sisters. When she was finished she turned back to me and gave me a look of pure sympathy. “They're on their way.”

Not even two seconds later Brit, Sammy, and Christina bursted into the room and pushed and shoved each other to try and get to me first. I started to laugh but stopped when another shot of pain went through my side.

Brit came to me first. “Emily! Oh my God I was so worried. I heard you cry out for help and then everything went blank! I thought you died! Or were dying, at least!”

“Yeah, well..”

“I was flipping out on the plane! The flight attendant thought I was having a panic attack I was so worried!” Sammy butted in.

“I thought I was going to loose you...” Christina said just above a whisper.

“Thanks, guys. It means a lot.”

“What happened out there?” Sammy asked excitedly and Brit and Christina agreed with a chorus of 'Yeahs'.

“Girls, don't. She needs to rest. We'll worry about that later.” my mother said. I was glad. I didn't want to talk about yesterday yet. Maybe never. The day still haunted me.

“How is Piper?” I asked.

My mother's features turned gloomy. “She's going to need a therapist. Doctors say her mind is the thing that is most hurt. Poor girl.”

“And Iris?”

“Worried to death about Piper.”

I sighed heavily. Those girls didn't need all of this added on to the fact that they never see their parents. I sure hoped they were here.

“Can I see Piper?” I asked shyly.

Mom, once again, seemed a bit taken back but agreed and sent Brit to go get her. She came in a little bit later with Piper in tow. Piper looked scared to even look at me. Her eyes darted in every direction around the room and would never settle on me.

“Piper, look at me.” Slowly she met my eyes. They were not as they used to be. Her eyes looked scared, watery, and not anything like the bright ones they used to be. “Thank you. You were so brave, Piper. I don't think I can thank you enough.”