avant que la tragédie

I walked along the pavement road, pulling my suitcase with me. All i saw was hills of grass and a foggy air. I was definitely lost.

"Hey, are you okay?" a stranger asked. "I am." I said as i rubbed the tears from my eyes and attempting to catch my breath. "Do you know a nearby Bed N Breakfast, or an Inn?" I asked looking at a guy maybe a year or two older than me.

"Yeah, yes of course. It's past second Yolk lane, only a few blocks away." He said.

"I don't know where that is.." I said, sighing.

"I'm headed to that direction anyways so you can come with me, uh this way." He said.

I tugged at my large suitcase which unfortunately got stuck in a pothole.

"Here i'll do it." He said.

"Thank you so much. I'm sorry, this is just a lot for me." I said now walking side by side with him on the foggy road.

"How long are you visiting?" He said.

"Uhm i'm not visiting. I'm staying, uh like moving here." I said.

"Oh, then why are you staying at an Inn?" He said.

"I bought a house here somewhere in Lilac lane, but it will be three days before i get the keys." I said.

"Lilac lane? You mean the brown cottage with the squeaky gate?" He said.

"Yeah, how'd you know there's a squeaky gate?" I asked.

"You don't know?!" He said with a shock on his face.

"Don't know what?" I said, a little confused.

"See that cottage you bought. Wait are you from Korea?" He asked.

"No, I moved here from America. I'm Thai but was raised in America since i was a kid. What is wrong with the house?" I said.

"What a coincidence! I moved here a couple of years ago. Like you, i'm also a Thai. And forgive me, with that skin of yours, i really thought you're one of those Koreans i saw on televisions. But the cottage, i can't believe you bought that cottage! Didn't they tell you?" He said.

"It's okay haha." I paused, "And tell me what? I don't know anything." I said, so confused.

"The house is haunted. Yes, i know haunted like Miss Havisham haunted yeah the old lady killed herself there and it's been empty for ages. She used to kill men there too, she was a feminist." He said, holding a straight face.

"No way? You're lying." I said, convinced by the information.

"No, i'm serious." He said, trying not to laugh.

"You're bluffing!" I said and lightly smacked his upper arm and he couldn't stop laughing at me.

"Yeah i am, the cottage isn't haunted i just wanted to mess with you." He said, smirking at me.

"Well aren't you cool." I said, a tiny bit angry with myself for being gullible.

"Here's the Inn." He said as we stopped by a small home couple of feet away from the road.

"Thank you, i appreciate your help." I said taking a hold of my suitcase and shaking his hand.

"You're welcome, by the way i'm Phana" He said.

"P'Phana, you look like a Panda." I said, then face palming myself after realizing how stupid that sounded out loud but he chuckled.

"And you?" He said. "I'm Wayo." I said.

"You don't look like a Wayo, you look more like a Wassup." He said, teasing me.

"Bye P'Phana" I said as i laughed his remark off and entered the Inn.

"Bye Shorty" He said, flashing a grin at me and disappearing into the distance.