Chapter Thirteen - Hypothermia Horror

"Aaaaaaahhh!!!" I screamed as I headed for the crater's floor. I fell
again flat on my back, a puff of condensated air forced out of me. I watched as the misty breath quickly vanished with the wind. I sat up, and brushed the falling snow off of my jacket.
"Olympia! Are you okay?" I asked as I helped her put on her coat.
"Yeah, I think so. I'm just really tired. And super cold." I noticed her lips were purple and small ice crystals were beginning to form around her ponytail.
"Well, I think we're stuck." I said. I tried climbing up out of the slippery sides of the crater, but it was no use. We WERE stuck, and I didn't see a way out.
"Here, Olympia!" I said as I poured her a small glass of the medicine Dr. O gave to me. "Dr. O gave me this. It will help you to not get too terribly sick after this is over."
"Otis, how are we supposed to get out of here?!" She asked. "I'm going to freeze to death if I stay here much longer. And, you can't climb out of here. The sides are way too slippery!"
Olympia was right. I couldn't see how we would get out of here. The snowfall continued to increase by the minute. I could tell we were in for a blizzard. This wasn't good. I picked up my badge phone, and called Ms. O.
"Ms. O? Ms. O, do you read me?" I said.
"Otis? Have you found Olympia?" It was so hard to understand what she was saying with all that static.
"Yes. I've found Olympia. She's in a large crater in some very tall mountain. Please send out a crew to rescue us. I fell into the crater too, and the sides are way too slippery to get out of."
"Okay. Make sure to keep Olympia warm, and we'll send out a team shortly. Here's Dr. O." She handed me off to Dr. O.
"Hello?" Dr. O said. "How is Olympia?" She asked. I gave Olympia the phone. "Hi, Dr. O." Olympia said in a frail voice.
"How are you feeling, Olympia?" Dr. O asked.
"Well, strangely enough, I'm feeling warm. I'm not that cold."
"What?" Dr. O shouted. "That's not good at all. Give Otis his phone back, please."
"What's wrong, Dr. O?" I asked. "Isn't that a good thing?"
"No. We have word that it's 5 degrees below zero in the Arctic room. She shouldn't be warm, even with a coat on. She has an advanced stage of hypothermia!"
"What's that?" I asked.
"Take her temperature." Dr. O told me. I grabbed gadget #14, a temperatureinator, and stuck it under her tongue.
"Dr. O, there's something wrong with this temperatureinator."
"No, there's not. That's what hypothermia is. It's when the human body either has a decrease in heat production, or extreme exposure to the cold, and the body temperature drastically reduces. What does it say?"
"68 degrees." I said. I couldn't believe it. My partner WAS going to freeze to death. Dr. O sent me a chart of the hypothermia stages.
"How can I stop it from dropping?"
"You need to get her blood circulating! Tell her to get up and do jumping jacks with you. That's all for now. The search team is on the way. What coordinates are you at?"
"A 11." I said.
"Sorry, could you repeat that? You got covered by static."
"A 11." I said again.
"Sorry, the static got to it again. Could you-" and that was it. She got covered in static, and I couldn't tell her where we were. For now, I had to do what Dr. O told me to do to help my partner.
"Olympia!" I said. "I know you don't feel like doing this, but I need you to stand up and do jumping jacks with me! Come on! We can't let you have any more advanced hypothermia than you already do. We need to get your blood circulating again!" I pulled her up off of the snowy floor, and she slowly stood up on her own. We started doing jumping jacks, and we did them for about ten minutes. All of a sudden, Olympia fell to the ground, exhausted. I ran over to her, and took her temperature again. I couldn't believe this! 60 degrees! This couldn't be happening.
"Olympia! Olympia, please say something! If this is another way to get Todd to be defeated, please just stop! I need to know if you are okay!" Nothing. I held her hand, patting it desperately, trying to get a response. A small puff of air exited her mouth, and her mouth slowly closed. I started crying, not even trying to stop myself. I desperately rubbed her freezing cold body, trying to warm it up. 57 degrees. I looked at the chart, and she had just entered profound hypothermia. I had already been there for an hour now, and I realized that I was feeling cold myself. I took my temperature, and it read 74 degrees. I had moderate hypothermia! I decided to do jumping jacks, even though I strangely felt warm myself. All of a sudden, I started shivering uncontrollably. Please get here soon! I thought. I stopped doing jumping jacks for a while and I covered Olympia in my coat. I rubbed her arms and legs again, trying to get her blood circulating again. After five minutes I stopped. What was the use? All of a sudden I thought I heard footsteps. Could it be? No, I must just be hearing things. Wait! There it is again. I decided to call out to see if I could get a response.
"Hello?" I called out. I couldn't even yell anymore, I was so exhausted. "Help!" I called out again.
"Otis?" I heard Dr. O shout! I couldn't believe it was really her!
"Dr. O! In here! Help, Olympia's unconscious! And we both have hypothermia!"
Dr. O leaned over the mountain, and a look of relief flooded her face.
"Hang in there, Otis!" Dr. O told me. "Oscar! Come over here, I found them! Let's drop down the ropes!"
I jumped out of the way as the ropes fell down to where we were.
"Can you both climb up the ropes, or should we send someone down to help you?" Dr. O asked.
"I think we'll both need help. Olympia has lost consciousness, and I'm at- 58 degrees. Please help-" and I dropped onto the floor, out cold.