Chapter Eighteen

It's all a blur of movement. 

     One moment, a full-sized hell-hound is ready to gobble all of us up, and the next it's fighting a girl with wings and a tail.  Eirlys, Katrina, Chloe and I all cower in the corners, with Mr. Abucurse -- our Defence Against The Elements teacher stands over us protectively. Just another normal day here at Elements Academy. I can only watch as Nocturna springs at the beast with her fur puffed up, and Abucurse's human eye grows to the size of a ping-pong ball.

     "The Evil Elemental!" 

     I don't have time to be worried, because the battle had already started.

     A sharp yelp splits the chilly night air of the Demon Forest, as Nocturna drags her claw-like fingernails across the creature's left head's nose. Swinging it's massive paw, it easily bats her aside, like last week's dirty wash. She lands easily on her feet and, even in the heat of the moment, I almost laugh at how cat-like she'd really become. Always landing on her feet, randomly sprouting fur... I'm not entirely sure what Nocturna had become, but I know for a fact that even in her current state, this Evil Elemental is attempting to save our lives.

     But she'd also revealed herself to Abucurse, and there's no doubt in my mind that the news of Nocturna's little jailbreak will spread around the school like wildfire. Who knows what Linzey would do when she finds out... Expell us and order Nocturna to death? That seems like the most reasonable logic at the moment, as much as I hate to admit it to myself. But as much as she scares me, I could never forgive myself if Nocturna died...

     All five of us watch in horror as Nocturna lunges for the beast again, slamming herself against it's side, and making it fall over with a crash into the dark greenery. We really must have been out this way longer than I thought, because I spotted the first glimpse of the sun in the distance. The darkness of the forest seems to swallow the image of the rising sun like a veil of rising, black smoke the moment I see it.

     This must mean Nocturna will change back soon!

     Torn between relief and horror, I continue to watch the fight go down. Relief because Nocturna's own array of Elements will be available to her in her Elemental stage. Horror because Abucurse hasn't seen who Nocturna is as an Elemental yet, and it would be the end of 'Cyra' and Nocturna if he did. It's because of this that I'm relieved when he gives me a nudge with that claw he has for an arm.

     "Come on!" His metallic voice orders. "We need to get out of here before one of them wins, and decide we're next." Though I don't believe Nocturna would attack us, I agree with Abucurse for the reason that we must get out of here in a hurry.  Gears whirring at a fast pace, the cyborg teacher leads us away as quickly as he dares.

     I stay where I am and watch the others follow Abucurse. I know that it would be the best idea to leave now, but something is telling me that if I don't stay something bad might happen to Nocturna, even if she does win this war.

      "Nicolette!" 

     I jump as Eirlys's voice grabs my attention, and whip around from the yowling hissing action to face her. "I can't just abandon her! It doesn't feel right!"

     "I know," The Water Elemental replies softly. "But she didn't seem to recognize us earlier, and she might dicide we're the enemy and attack, like Mr. Abucurse said. Come on." She places a hand on my shoulder and leads me back to the others, abandoning Nocturna with the hell hound. The sounds of the fight fade into the background as we get farther and farther away...

     Soon, Abucurse leads us out of the forest and into the grounds of the Academy. It's early in the morning, but the smell of fresh-cut grass reaches my nose, reminding me of home. Erika. I sigh, shaking the thoughts of home off, but those thoughts are just as quickly replaced with those of Nocturna. Will she be okay?

     Abucurse turns around. "You all get into your dorms," White smoke puffs from the grill he has for a mouth as he continues. "I need to go talk to Headmistress Linzey." Before any of us can move, he takes off toward the Headmistress's office.

     Katrina begins trudging away, slowly. "Let me know what happens." She says, before vanishing into the dorm. Eirlys follows with a nod of agreement, leaving Chloe and I to ourselves. I glance up at the sky. The sun is beginning to rise, and that must mean Nocturna will change back in a short time. Swallowing my feeling of unease, I make my way to the dorms, but instead of going inside, I sit on the cement steps, staring into the Forest.

     "She should be fine." Chloe attempts to reassure me. "Nocturna's a smart girl, and an Evil Elemental. Not to mention that strength." She smiles a little at this. 

     I nod a little, without replying.

     "You know," Chloe continues airily. "Though she scares me a little at times, I think it's safe to say that I think of Nocturna as my friend." She sits beside me and tilts her head to one side, making her brown locks fall around one shoulder. "It really doesn't bother me much anymore. What she is."

     "Same here," I reply quietly. "That's why I'm so worried about her. She's bound to transform back soon. That means she'll regain her Elements, but I don't know if she'll remember what she was doing. If that happens, that hell-hound with squish her like an insect."

     Chloe sighs. "I'm trying not to think about that." She tells me. 

     We sit in silence until she the sun is just visible through the trees. My feeling of dread keeps growing until I can't take it anymore. "I'm going to my room." I manage. Without waiting for an answer, I sweep past Chloe and head to the dorm for Fire Elementals. Luckily, she catches up to open the door with her Element. We both slip in, and, with a quiet word of thanks, I head to my bed space, and lay down, thinking about what had happened.

     I must have drifted off eventually, because next think I know I'm awakened by a loud commotion outside of my bed space. My heart pounding, I leap out of bed, still clothed from last night, and draw back my curtains. "W-what's going on?"

     A girl with fiery red hair, and still in her pajamas faces me with large brown eyes. "I'm not sure," She admits. "An Element Keeper found something in the Demon Forest."

     My eyes widen. "Element Keeper?"

     "They're like the police for Elementals." The red haired girl responds distractedly. "And Evil Elementals Hunters. Have the abilities to take one's Element away, permanently. Been here since last night, and I'm not sure why." 

     I make a squeaking sound, that I hope sounded like a thank you, and hurtle down to the golden lobby, and burst out the doors. My heart thundering against my rib-cage, I notice that many students are gathered on the sides of the cobblestone path, watching something. I join then, pushing my way to the front. A large burly man with olive skin and shaggy black hair has his back to me, talking to somebody that I recognize as Headmistress Linzey. Strapped to his back is a large white gun unlike any I've ever seen, along with many metal devices around his waist I've never seen before.

     I try to get a glimpse at what he's carrying, but when he finally turns around, I join with the collective gasp. Hold hands seize my heart and I feel my eyes moisten. I knew I should have stayed!

     The dark bundle in the Keeper's arms in an unconscious Nocturna.

~*~

*hides so I'm not murdered by Nocturna fans* o.O

So yeah. XD Here's chapter eighteen!

Enjoy~