Chapter Sixteen

The forest is just as creepy as I remember it to be. The the everlasting darkness and gloom of the night. Strange creatures hurrying along, crunching through the dead leaves that had fallen from the bare - or almost bare trees. Roots snake though the ground, ending in clumps that look very much like hands. I remember this from my first visit here... How the roots would reach up and grab you, trying to pull you down with them... I shudder.

     The full moon is nearly at it's highest peak in the sky. I notice that Nocturna keeps moving her cat-like eyes toward it, almost nervously, or... I dare say... afraid? "We need to hurry," Nocturna mutters, picking up her pace, and making a large circle around the back of the school, in the dark woods. 

     "Are you all right?" I ask, actually feeling a little concerned about the Evil Elemental.

     Nocturna jumps and turns around owl-eyed. "Huh? Oh - yeah. I'm..." She looks up at the moon again. "...great. We need to hurry." She says for the four-hundredth time tonight. Confused, I look back at the others, who look just as confused as me.

     "If this is freaking you out this much, we should be terrified." Katrina states, glancing around.

     Nocturna growls. "It's not what you may think, Katrina." With that, she picks up the pace even more, leading the rest of us to sprint in order to keep up with her.

     "Something tells me you're hiding something." I smirk. "Who knew? The all-mighty Evil Elemental is afraid to tell us normal Elementals something. That must be bad."

     Nocturna looks over her shoulder and narrows those cat's eyes at me. "Shut up." She orders in a low growl. "You have no idea how different you and I are." She jerks her head forward again and continues walking. "You each know little to nothing about me, who I am, and where I can from, so just leave me alone." Nocturna actually sounds upset.

     It isn't a long time of walking later when Nocturna suddenly stops. She just freezes all at once, staring up at the full moon - which had reached it's highest point in the sky. Midnight. I'm confused. "Um, Noct-" I trail off when I see the look on her face. Her mouth is slightly open, and her eyes are wide with her cat-like pupils trembling. She looks a mix of terrified and wonder-struck. "Nocturna...?" I try again. She doesn't even blink.

     "Uh," Eirlys seems a little freaked. "Nicole, is she okay?" 

     Even I don't know. No matter what I do, Nocturna's eyes are glued to the moon. She's totally oblivious to the world around her. Suddenly she stumbles, as if she'd been slapped and crumples to her hands and knees. The Evil Elemental's eyes are no longer focused on the moon, but instead she has them screwed tightly shut. 

     "Nocturna!" I hurry to her side. "Are you okay?" 

     Her fingers dig into the soil. "Nicole get away from me..." She growls through clenched teeth. Her voice is deeper, like a hissing cat. This is scaring me now.

     "Nocturna..."

     "Get away!" She whips her head to the side, breathing hard. She digs her nails into the ground, her eyes closed. For a moment nothing happens. Then Nocturna falls to the ground completely. Her body twitches uncontrollably and it's freaking me out.

     "What's wrong?" Chloe demands, hurrying to Nocturna's other side. She presses a hand against the Evil Elemental's forehead, then just as quickly withdraws it. "She's burning up..."

     Nocturna slaps Chloe's arm away. "D-don't touch me!"

     "Nocturna, tell us what's happening to you," Katrina says softly, approaching near Chloe. "We want to help."

     Nocturna opens one yellow eye. "Y-you can't do anything to help." She growls, still flat on her back on the ground. "It-it happens to all of my kind. O-on the full moon..."

     "What?" I demand, growing more and more confused, and worried. "Tell us, Nocturna! It's not the time to be secretive!"

     "It's... a transformation, Nicole..." She replies, panting.  

     "A what?" I shriek. "You're.... transforming? Into what?"

     Nocturna doesn't reply. I don't know if she can. Her eyes are screwed tightly shut as beads of sweat break out along her forehead. She clenches her teeth, as if this is a very painful process. At once, I notice the two hooked fangs that grow from her canines right before my eyes. I shriek and leap backward. 

     "Get away."  Nocturna growls. Her nails dig into the ground as I back away slowly. The others keep their distance too. I merely watch helplessly from the shadow of a tree. For the first time I notice that Nocturna's fingernails had grown longer. Long pointed claws... I swallow hard. Chloe takes a sped back, white in the face. I figure she would faint if much more happened...

     When I look back at Nocturna, the Evil Elemental had brought herself to her knees. My eyes widen at what I see. Over her skin is a thick coat of gray-black fur. I don't see her head because she keeps it bend lowly. But I do spot something else... Two little bumps are visible on the top of her head... And, are they twitching...? I gasp in realization.

     Ears. Like some kind of cat's. I circle slowly to view her all around. As I reach her back, my fears are confirmed. A fluffy tail had accompanied the pair of ears. Before I have time to move, a loud rrrriiipppp rings through the air, and two large objects raise over Nocturna's head. Wings. Large scaly wings. Like a dragon's.

     We all stare in silence as Nocturna crouches in the center of our circle, panting. My heart thunders in my chest. I have no idea what had just happened. It seems like something that should happen in a horror movie or something... That's when Nocturna finally looks up a little. Her eyes are still closed, but at least I can see her face.

     Fur covers her face, her shaggy dark black hair nearly blending with it. The fur fades to a lighter shade of a gray-white and finally to white around her little pink cat-like nose. Eirlys seems to be trying to say something. Her mouth is moving, yet no words come out. Chloe and Katrina wear identical looks of horror. 

     Finally I decide to make my move. "N-Nocturna? Are.... are you... o-okay?" I stammer the question out. I hadn't realized it before, but I'm trembling all over. 

     Nocturna jerks her head up at the sound of my voice. That's when the worst happens.

     Those ears go back and her unchanged cat-like eyes glint dangerously. The little hooked ends on her wings dig into the dirty ground, and her tail lashes, all fur on end. Fear courses over me in a wave of realization.

     We're alone in the Demon forest, nobody knows where we are back at school...

     And Nocturna doesn't recognize us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DUN DUN DUNNN!

So yeah. I haven't updated this in forever and the guilt was getting to me. o.o

So how do you feel about our favorite Evil Elemental now? Any predictions on what happens next? >:3

COMMENT

AND

VOTE! :D

~Ravie