Chapter Seventeen

Just as Nocturna takes one step toward me, on all fours, her tail flicking furiously, I hear something. Like something heavy rolling over leaves... I whip around, horrified that somebody else might unknowingly step onto this minefield when Nocturna's like this. Instead, my heart nearly stops at what I find instead.

     Nothing. 

     Nocturna's gone.

     A single glowing light shows dimly in the darkness of the forest. A small metallic whirring seems to surround us. I look behind me to see Katrina, Eirlys and Chloe wearing identical looks of fear. An ominous red orb turns this way and that, before landing on me. There's a long hissssss that comes from that direction. My heart is thundering in my chest now. I have no idea where Nocturna is, and I don't know what could be in this forest with us.

     The red light seems to move at a slow pace toward us, and the metallic whirring grows louder and louder. Everybody takes a few steps backward. Finally, Katrina frowns. "Wait a second..." She mutters, squinting in the direction of the orb. "I know that light..." 

     I'm about to ask what she means, but at that same moment, the metallic figure sweeps through the bushes in a frenzy of metallic whirring and clanks. The cyborg turns his head to look at me, probably because I'm the student closest to him. His one robotic red eye seems to stare into my soul, but I almost faint with relief.

     "Mr. Abucurse!"

     The cyborg teacher narrows his human eye. "What are you students doing out here?" His metallic voice demands, as more thick white smoke gusts from the grill he has for a mouth. "Don't you know this place is off limits?"

     With this, we all simply incline our heads in shame. "Yessir." The answer comes from all of us.

     "So do you mind explaining why you are here?" A pipe from the cyborg's shoulder emits a silver smoke as he continues glaring at us. "And where is Cyra? She is normally with you, Nicolette."

     "Um..." I reply stupidly. Of course, I wan't about to say "Oh, Cyra turned into a fuzzy cat thing with wings. And did I mention that Cyra is Nocturna?"  Yeah, that would end badly. "She's not here...?" It came out more like a question. 

     Mr. Abucurse turns his head with a loud creaking sound, and that glowing red orb stares at me. "Not here, eh? Where might she be then?"

     "Back at the dorms, probably." I lie through my teeth, hoping this teacher doesn't have some kind of lie detector built in or something. 

     "I see." Abucurse replies slowly. He raises one claw-like arm in a cue that says follow me. "Come on then. You need to return to the dorms before Linzey finds out about this, and has a heart attack."

     "You mean you're not going to tell her?" Katrina seems surprised.

     "Of course I'll have to tell her." Abucurse replies shortly, causing a pipe in his shoulder to make a low hissing sound -- much like an angry snake. "It's the middle of the night, and students are supposed to be in bed, not out parading around in the Demon Forest. Granted, Linzey will not be happy, nor will your dorms' Heads. But the punishment to come is one you must endure."

     "Wonderful."

     In the bushes, a pair of yellow eyes flash. My breath catches as I see the shape slink into the tall dark grass. Nocturna had hidden, not run off. As we follow Abucurse through the dark woods, at a slow but sure pace, I'm aware of Nocturna slinking along behind us, staying hidden in the greenery. 

     Suddenly a loud cry thunders through the air. A growling bark that makes the earth rattle under my feet. A boulder seems to lumber into the small patch of moonlight we stand under. At least I thought it was a boulder -- until it raised it's heads. 

     Heads. Two of them. Both mouths dripping with thick saliva. Thick black fur downs the muscular body. This think as at least the size of five Great Danes stacked on top of one another. All four ears are perked up, and both noses wriggle at us excitedly as if to say: "Yum. Elemental buffet!"

     The first thing that happens is Mr. Abucurse forces us behind him with both arms, his human eye staring at the dog-like creature. He begins to back us away slowly, and without a fight.

     "What is that thing?" Eirlys's voice trembles.

     "Hell hound." Abucurse whispers back. "Nasty things. Make no sudden moves or noises, and it shouldn't decide to attack."

     "Shouldn't?" Chloe squeaks.

     "Hush!"

     The giant's heads seem to be trying to sniff at the air in opposite directions at once. Abucurse continues to back us away, while we shake in our boots. That's when one head's eyes land directly on us. Looking into its eyes, I swear they were the most beautifully-horrifying thing I've ever seen -- in a pure red-orange color.

     Those jaws ruin the whole thing.

     Soon both heads are looking at us, the beast as still as a statue. Then the worst happens.

     "Run!"

     I'm not sure who yelled that command, but everybody listened. Except Abucurse who was stuck yelling "No! Stop!" in that metallic voice of his, accompanied by the hissing of the pipes on his shoulders, and the grill for his mouth. 

     Then the beast lunged. 

     Right over Abucurse's head, who ducks to avoid being decapitated. He starts to yell something, racing toward us when the beast lands in his path. Saliva drips down on the ground is huge glue-colored globs. We'd all frozen in terror. 

     That's when the beast is engulfed in flames. Mr. Abucurse! I'd forgotten he's a Fire Elemental! But the Hell hound simply shakes itself and the flames go out. Flames don't hurt it... I'm about to seriously flip out when a shape lunges from the bushes.

     I only have time to blink. But when I look again, Nocturna is in front of us, in the center of the battle field. Her lips are peeled back in a snarl, and those feline fangs are shown in a pearly white that shines silver in the moonlight. Her bright yellow eyes are full of hatred, and no fear to be seen. Her hands, with her fingernails which are now black claws are up in a fighting position while her tail lashes, and her ears are flattened.

     Abucurse only has time to join us and yell. "The Evil Elemental!" Before Nocturna's hackles raise, she lets out a thunderous caterwaul and -- ignoring us completely, leaps straight for one of the beast's throats with her wings outstretched.

~*~

DUN DUN DUNNNN~!

Crappy chapter. This was rushed so I could get it up for you all before my head explodes. Cut me some slack. XD

Next chapter will be better. 

And sorry for that cliffie! X3

~Ravannah