Chapter Fourteen

I creak my eyes open. Hmm. It's quite odd not being met with my sister yelling at me to get up, or somebody jumping on me. I sigh and turn over in bed, looking at the alarm clock on my nightstand for the time. Five in the morning. Hm. I feel quite energized. I wonder what woke me, though...? With a sigh, I sit up. Then my question is answered. With a loud crash, thunder sounds from outside, with a bright flash of lightning, lighting up the entire room. Right away, one thought comes to mind. Nocturna. Evil Elements. Unexplained storms...

     I mentally slap myself. I've spent too long reading that diary. It was cloudy yesterday, so this is just a natural thunderstorm. With a sigh, I climb out of bed, knowing I'm already up for the day anyway. After dressing, I pull back the curtain. That's when I notice the light coming from Chloe's space, under her curtain. First, I check for the book under my mattress. Thankfully, it's still there.

     I move back the curtains and watch the storm from my window. The Demon Forest almost seems to be calling out to me. I pull on my school uniform and head out, aware of the silence behind Amber's door at the back of the room. She's either asleep, doing a bed check, or at a meeting with the others. I slide back the curtains around my bed space soundlessly, and peek both ways down the rows. Amber's not there. Good. I think I'll get a bite to eat, and see if anybody else is up this early.

     Hooking on my shining fire pin, and smoothing out my skirt, I slip into my shoes, make my bed messily, then head down the rows, closing the curtain to my space behind me. Wandering down the hallway, I can hear a few girls snoring on either side of me. I smile slightly, and open the door to the dorms, being met with the great hallway, leading two ways.

     I turn left and wander down the winding stairs, entering the bright golden lobby. I fling open the door and sigh as rain soaks the portion of the floor right away. Prepare for the first day here all over again. I think to myself. I brace myself. As a Fire Elemental, I hate being wet. Then, I sprint toward the Big Hall. I'm sure the Big Hall is open because breakfast starts being served at four o'clock in the morning, for the Heads, and lasts until eleven, when lunch is served.

     I enter the Big Hall, completely soaked. After shaking out my black hair, much like a dog, I lift my head and look around. I'm a little surprised to see Amber, and a big group of the Heads talking in hushed voices around a circular table. Heads must really be early risers.

     I grab a plate with a yawn, just as thunder shakes the building. Then I pile two pancakes on my plate, along with some bacon. Then I pour the syrup on the pancakes, and grab a fork. Last of all, I pour myself a refreshing glass of apple juice, and sit at one of the tables. I dig in right away, famished. That's when a girl sits down across from me. I look up to see Katrina smiling at me. "Oh, hey."

     "Hey," She replies tiredly. "Listen. I've been trying to keep this to myself but..." The Ice Elemental sighs. "I know Cyra is Nocturna, and I know Nocturna's an Evil Elemental. I have one thing to say about that." She leans closer. "The Evil Elemenals aren't supposed to exist anymore, right? Extinct. But if Nocturna is one of them, don't you expect they'll be more?"

     Grateful Katrina kept her voice down during her little outburst, I stare at her. "Everybody seems to know about it lately." I sigh. "But I've gotta say you have a point, Kat. There may be more. But none that I know of so far. Perhaps Evils are identified by those eyes. How they're kinda catlike, and of a strange color."

     "What are you talking about?" Katrina looks at me as if I'd completely lost my mind. "Nocturna's eyes are brown."

     I shake my head. "That's what she wants you to think. She wears colored contacts. Her real eyes are bright yellow. If she knew that we know about her, she'd probably rip my head off."