Chapter 5 (Happy New Years!)

Author's Note: To be perfectly honest, I was not planning on posting this chapter up tonight and I had no idea I would finish so fast. Let's just say the New Year's inspired me to finish it tonight. I might have a few typos here or there but for the most part I think this is one of the best so far. Hopefully you guys like it. If you like it, please comment, vote, or add if you haven't already! And Happy New Years! xD

Chapter Five 

"And this is the Elysian Fields," Orcus says, extending his arm out towards the fields.

This is the third place we've been to that has made my eyes become drained from widening them so much from astonishment.  The first two were also fields but they weren't as rich or vibrant as this and there is something about it that seems different from the others. They almost feel familiar, like I have been here before.

They are filled with daffodils and poppy flowers that seem to glimmer in the midday sun. On the ground lay weeds that are abundant but moderate. Their leaves wrap around each other in a mesh and the sky compliments the fields in many ways. The red and orange sky makes the daffodils and poppy flowers blaze with the colors of a fire, and the sky is an aroma of fire and warmth. The fields are colorful yet simple and it is quite a sight to see.

I feel silly as I run into the fields full of pink, gold, and yellow flowers but it's the most beautiful image I've ever seen. I reel in its beauty almost in a reminiscent way. Maybe I'm just a weird teenager but I've always found being in a field full of poppy flowers and daffodils way more exciting than an episode of Teen Mom.

"This is beautiful," I say to him, my voice full of adrenaline.

He just tilts his head at me and smirks, which is the second time I find it both odd yet fitting on him. His eyes seem lighter when he smiles, almost brown.

"What?" I finally ask him, as he gawks at my prancing around the fields.

He shakes his head, still smiling.

"You're the first person I've ever met to say this place is beautiful," he states.

I stop in my tracks. "Are you kidding me? I could just lie in these fields all day," I say enthralled and start to fall back unto the ground.

He rushes over to me---almost out of nowhere and grabs me by the arm, yanking me before I can hit the ground. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

I look from him to where he stood just moments ago.

"Whoa how did you get to me so fast?"

"Like you, I have powers," he answers simply, standing me up right.

I look at him but he looks away and before I can ask him anything else he says, "Why don't we go to the rivers now? I've had enough of poppy flowers for one day."

His tone, I notice is darker than before and his whole air seems to be reserved now. He starts walking off and I have to do everything in my power just to keep up with him. When we finally make it to the river or I should say rivers, I am once again astonished.

It is nothing like I have ever seen before. The rivers, which seem to be five big marshlands set side by side, are humongous and filled with people. They are all lined up at each river, just waiting and it takes me a minute to see for what. On the edges of the rivers, lay an abundance of cattails, water lilies, and pondweeds.

As we come closer to the edge of the first river, I realize they are waiting to dive into the rivers. I notice that they are oddly pale almost gray looking. A man in front of the line, who is wearing a business suit and carrying a briefcase, dives into the river, fully clothed. He didn't bother to take off anything which shocks me. The next to go is a lady who is wearing a sparkling cocktail dress. She dives in headfirst. I also notice that they never come up once they dive in.