Chapter 4

Chapter Four

"You were in my dream," I blurt out like a little school girl and instantly feel stupid.

"Was I?" He asks though his tone sounds more amused than curious by my statement.

His dark eyes seem to search for something as he beams down at me. I am suddenly at lost for words and I wonder why I cannot find my voice and why he is looking so longingly at me as if he expects me to say something further. After a while, his light expression quickly fades away and he puts me gently on the ground with a sigh.

"You don't remember do you?" He asks me.

I look around the place and see that everything is dark and the only piece of light is from the hole I fell into. I look up in horror as I see it slowly start to close. It looks as if we are in a cave but I can't be sure. The walls are rocky and there seems to be two passageways on either side of us. I turn back towards him as he waits for my reply.

My eyebrows can't help but go up at his odd question. "Remember what?"

He just smirks, an expression I definitely didn't expect coming from him. His whole aura screams dark somehow and a smile just seems to contradict that. "Never mind its better this way. Makes the chase a lot more fun."

"What are you talking about? What chase?" I inquire, confused.

He suddenly moves closer to me and I edge back against the wall. I want to scream out in pain because the wall managed to scrap the back of my skin with its sharp exterior. If there was anytime I wished to be immortal it would be now. I fought the urge to wince especially as his cold hand traced the edge of my chin, slowly caressing it.

I slightly tilt my head away from him, wondering why the hell I didn't push him away. But then again I have never seen a man so easy on the eyes before and then again, I have never seen a man period---at least not this close up. His lips begin to move but before he can respond, a loud thud sounds and two large men dressed in all black, come running up to us. With a great big sigh of irritation, he turns his attention towards them and says loudly, "This better be important."

They look at him with so much fear and reverence and bow their heads before speaking.

"There is a war brewing in Afghanistan. The numbers don't look good sire," one of the robust men says and bows their head once again.

The other steps up and speaks. "Do you want us to send word to Thanatos?"

"No I'll go myself. Thanatos has enough on his plate," he says with so much authority in his voice that it shocks me. He doesn't look a day over twenty-one and yet seems to have such a majestic air to him. He looks back at me for a second and then turns back to the men. "Take her to the cabin."

One of the men look up at him inquisitively and says, "The cabin sire? What about the pal---"

"I said the cabin," he says sharply to them in such a regal tone that they bow their heads in great fear.

They nod, "Yes sire."

I wonder why they keep calling him sire and treating him like he's some kind of King. He just looks like a regular guy in dark pants and a dark t-shirt to me. Matter of fact the only thing that isn't dark about him is his skin which is oddly pale.

"Why do they keep calling you sire?" I ask him as he starts to walk off.

He turns back and looks at me with a shrug. "I guess you could say I'm kind of like the Elvis of this place."

"What is this place exactly?" I ask, looking around once again.

"Some people refer to it as hell, I call it home," he chuckles and the men look at each other amusingly. I don't get the joke though and I just seem to stare blankly at them.