Chapter 38

Akari

"I should have at least talked to you or call you back or reply your messages. I'm sorry I ignored you," says the redhead as his golden orbs look at me with conviction.

I clench my fist. My legs tremble.

"I needed some time alone to think—'

"To think if you want to break up with me since I'm some suicidal freak?!"

Karma silently looks at me.

I'm seething with rage. Pain pierces a huge hole in my fragile heart. My cheeks feel wet. "I thought you hate me for always breaking the promises we made. I thought you want to break up with me. So I kept telling myself that it's fine if you leave me. I can leave on without you. but I couldn't. I couldn't!"

**

I went back home after school one day. I opened my door just as usual.

"Say, what you're going to cook for me today?" I spoke. But there was no reply.

There was no one in the dark apartment except me.

I had forgotten that he was no longer here anymore.

He left.

**

"You were everywhere in my life! You were in the kitchen, the living room, on the sofa, by the study desks..."

**

I saw him everywhere I go in my apartment. I saw him everywhere I go in the city. I saw him in the classroom. I saw him in the 40th floor of my sanctuary.

Akabane Karma was everywhere. Everywhere had the memories we made together.

**

"How am I going to forget you and live on?!"

You... are everything in my life.

"I didn't want to leave you," he says gently.

"Then why weren't you with me?!" I shout.

His hand stretches out to touch me but I slap it away. "What happened.......

.......what happened to the promise you made to me? You said you would stay with me forever! What happened to that?!"

I'm probably the least qualified person to talk about promises. But I'm hurt. I want to protect myself.

"I don't want to talk anymore. I'll go the other side of the hill to get mushrooms."

"It's not really a talk if I haven't say my part," he says.

I don't care! I don't care!

But my legs couldn't move. My back faces him because I don't want to see him. If I do, I might cry worse.

"I did some really long thinking by myself and got a conclusion. Ok, my fault. It was really, really long because I avoided headbutting the problem. But, upon hearing you might leave for England in less than six months, I finally realize, I couldn't let you leave."

I cover my ears. Shut up shut up!

"Because you're everything to my life too."

I stay silent for some time, refusing to look at him. Lots of thoughts race through my mind. I couldn't grasp a solid idea of what should I do next.

Should I say something? But my mind is empty.

All this conflict starts because of me.

"Don't you hate me?" I mutter without looking at him. "After what I did?"