Chapter 36

Akari

The shadows of the horrifying Mid Terms loom over us. For the past two weeks, we busied ourselves with a complete renovation of the children day care. There was only a meagre of time for us to cram furtively in our homes.

In the end, most of us drop out of the Top 50 in the grade. Maths slaughtered me completely. Even with all my efforts and Karma's good teaching hard work, I still failed.

"Err... Akari, it's already midnight. You need some good rest for tomorrow's exam," Karma said. He closed his Maths book and gathered the draft papers with numbers and equations scribbled all over.

I stared at my Maths textbook blankly, eyes sored from all the memorizing. Equations, formulas and even mere numbers were killing me from the inside. My brain shouted of exhaustion, threatening to shut down.

"But... but... "

Karma closed my book without my permission. I glared at him with all the ferocity I could muster, but instead my eyelids closed 3 seconds later. I shook my head violently.

Karma sighed. "I believe in you. You will pass tomorrow." He reached for my hands on my lap and squeezed them tight.

I pouted.

"I gave you a lot of practices and you crammed a long time. You'll be fine. Trust me, at least. Trust me that I believe in you."

Karma is going to slaughter me for sure.

I reach home, slumping to my sofa and bury my face in a pillow. My stomach growls but I'm to demotivated to move. If only Karma is here to cook for me...

"I wonder where he is... he ran off just now..."

The door of my apartment clicks open as Karma unlocks it with a key. This place is his second home now.

"Where have you been? I'm starving. Cook me something nice," I demand without lifting my head from the pillow.

"Hmm. Nothing really. My grades ended up helping me kick some ass," replies Karma. He puts his bag down and takes the apron hanging on a hook. With his deft hands, he ties the embarrassing pink apron on his waist. "What do you want to eat?"

"Whose ass?" Suddenly I remember Karma's perfect grades and got demotivated even more. "Just cook me fooood."

"Okay, love. Pasta will do."

Karma, despite having two weeks of no cramming to his disadvantage, he rose back up to the Top 2 in the whole grade. He would be a perfect, genius model student prodigy if not for his contradicting behaviour.

"Say, when are you going back to your house anyway?"

"Never thought of it. I can't believe you'd let me leave? I thought you love me. How sad," Karma says sarcastically.

I roll my eyes. "It's sort of inappropriate for a pair of unmarried, teenage, couple to stay with each other. We're only 15, remember?"

"Well then, let's get married next year. Everything will be legit by then." He ends his sentence with a snicker.

I sigh. No point reasoning with him. "I'm just saying... sheesh you exaggerate things."

"It's not exaggeration. It might be true."

I discover the growing heat in my cheeks. "This is not supposed to be a serious topic, you know, right?"

"For me, it's serious."