Chapter 6

"Listen, Pete, all you have to do is focus on that door. If anyone comes in or out of there, you call me immediately. You got that?" I'm standing outside of the morgue talking to Pete who is sitting in his car. 

"I got it." 

"You sure?" You sound a little uncertain."  

"What happens if there is like a delivery or something?" 

I take a deep breath and act as nice as I can. "Use your judgment. If it's out of the ordinary, then you call me. Does that make sense?" 

He gives me thumbs up. I walk across the lot to my car. Josh joins me. 

"You sure you want that guy on this?" 

"I'm just asking a guy to stare at a door for a few hours. I told him if anything happens to call me. Besides isn't this basically what he does on his second job as a security guard a Walmart?" 

"He got fired from that. Too many thefts,"  

I look over at Pete. "I need my best guys on the street. He's just going to watch the door. If anything happens, he'll call me and I'll take care of it. I'm going to make sure nothing funny happens tonight. Besides, it will only be for a short time while I go over to Ms. Hunter's house to make her happy." I get in my car and head over to see Jenn's Mom. 

Cruising over to the house, I start to think about what Josh said. He's right that Pete's a moron, but it's not like I have a big pool of applicants for jobs on this force. Most of the good ones, except Josh, quit when we had to cut overtime pay. They moved up the road and work at different counties or became prison guards in Lewiston. I'll check up on Pete after I take care of this exercise to comfort poor Ms. Hunter. 

After pulling in front of the house, I walk up, knock on the door and let her know that I'll sit outside of the house for a while to see what this is all about.  

In the car, I try to do something at least worthwhile. I pull up a report I had Josh generate for me. It's everyone in town that has a criminal record and has bought a dog license. I'm going through it but don't see anyone on this list that has a pittbull or a German sheppard or a type of animal that could do this kind of damage. I look up from time to time and then go back to my work. As I lift my head from the computer, I see a person standing a few houses down right before the street bends into a corner. Despite the subfreezing weather she is only wearing a long white dress. She's standing in the middle of the sidewalk. The person has brown hair, like Jenn, is about as tall as she is and from here looks remarkably like her. I step out of the car and walk around the front of it. The person continues to stand in place. The only movement is her dress lightly swaying in the wind. 

"Ma'm?" I call out. "Excuse me, I would just like to talk to you." She continues to stand in place. Can't she hear me?  

"Ma'm I'm with the police department and I would like to have a word with you," I say louder, but the woman continues to stand in place. I take my flashlight, turn it on and point it at her. She lifts her arm and covers her eyes. What the hell is this person doing out here? It's almost midnight and it's freezing cold.  

"Jenn?" I say and drop the flashlight from her face. 

She smiles and takes a step toward me.  

Off to my right, I hear a door fly open and then hear "Sheriff, do you see Jenn out there?" 

I keep my eyes locked on the person in front of me and put my hand up to Ms Hunter. "Get back inside," I yell. 

"Jenn, baby, is that you?" Ms. Hunter says as she runs down the stairs and over the plants in her yard.