Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Josh, Victor and I wait behind a corner while Bear goes up and down the street pushing a wheelbarrow holding the corpse and blood of a pig. He yells, "Come on out vampires. I have something you would like to munch on!" 

I turn to Victor. "It's freezing out here, and we've been at this for almost an hour. How long does this take?" 

"It's like fishing. You have to just keep that bait out there until they bite." 

Wonderful. This is absurd. I was so excited to get out here and hit them back. Now I'm freezing my ass off hiding in an alleyway, and Bear's walking around with a dead pig.  

I lean around the corner and check out Bear. He pauses in the middle of the street and stares down it.  

Victor yells to him, "Get your ass back here. They're coming." 

Pushing the wheelbarrow as fast as he can, Bear runs toward us, turns the corner, drops the wheelbarrow and pins himself up against the wall.  

I see two figures dart into the alleyway, and I yell up to Josh, who is sitting on top of a fire engine with a water cannon, "Hit it." 

Josh turns it on and blasts the vampires, who fall backwards onto the ground and scream in pain. Since almost the entire fire department has split, it wasn't hard to get a fire truck. Having Father Jackson transform a tanker full of water into Holy Water took a lot more effort. 

Victor and I jump out of the shadows and jam our staffs into the vampires' chests. These two don't even look familiar. Have they killed more people from town than I'm even aware of?  

I look up at Josh and run my finger across my neck to give him the "cut it" sign. He turns it off, hops down from the engine and smacks me on the back. We all give each other a high five. 

"Damn, it felt good to finally get some of these," I say. 

"Yeah, you gave them a little extra mustard." Josh says. 

Victor even lets out a little laugh. "I have to give it to you Bear. The idea of using the fire truck was one I haven't even thought of. I'll have to steal that in the future." 

"You can have it," Bear says. 

"Well, we got three of them here and we knocked out Jenn, so we've made somewhat of an impact," I say. 

"You're assuming they haven't brought anyone else down tonight. It's good, but we're just getting started. If we really want to make a dent in them, we need to take out more than just this small group." 

"Okay, so how do we do that?" I ask him. 

"It's not easy. It's like guerilla warfare. They're hunters and killers. They're always on the move, waiting for someone to trip up so they can take the person out. We'll play against their weakness for blood and keep pounding them."  

I check my watch. It's four in the morning. "We'll have to call it a night. The rest of us have to be at work in a few hours to at least make ourselves visible during the day."  

We break up until shift time. It's the first time Josh, Bear and I have any hope that we can actually fight this off.