Chapter 35

This has gone on long enough.  I can't keep waiting for everything to be lined up perfectly while people continue to be killed, and this town falls apart. Whatever evidence I'm short on I'll make up for when I run Glen's pudgy ass through the wringer in the interrogation room.   When it's just him and me, I'll break him.  He'll fall to pieces.

I park outside of his square red brick, nineteen fifties, one size fits all house, go up to the front door and bang on it.  Glen's mother, wearing a pink bathrobe with white pajamas, answers.

          "What do you want?" she asks.

          "I'm here for Glen."

          She sighs and yells into the house, "Glen, you have a guest."

          "Who is it?" comes a yell.

          "It's the Sheriff."

          "What?"

          She screams into the house, "The Sheriff is here for you.  Come upstairs.  It's freezing with the door open."

          "What does he want?"

          She turns to me. "He wants to know what you want."

          "I can hear him.  I need to speak with him."

          She turns back into the house. "He wants to talk to you."

          There is a long silence then, "About what?"

          She lets the storm door slam shut.  Her voice is muffled through the glass. "Just get up here.  I don't know what he wants.  You know I don't like talking to him."

          Through the dirty glass, I see Glen come around the corner.  He's wearing an old sweat shirt and sweat pants.  He hasn't shaved and looks like he just rolled out of bed.  He opens the storm door. "What are you doing here?"

          I snag his fat wrist and pull him outside.  He loses his balance and falls forward, so I help him along and shove him into the handrail.  I pull both of his hands behind his back and hold them together.     

"Ouch.  What the hell are you doing?" Glen yells.  He's so uncoordinated he can barely stand. 

          His mother sees what is happening through the glass door and opens it.  She keeps one foot inside the house and the other on the porch.  She grabs me by my shoulder. "What are you doing to my son?"

          "Ma'am get back in the house," I say.

          "You're hurting him," she screams as she gets hold of Glen and tries to pull him away from me.

          "I'm not hurting him."

          "Yes you are," Glen yells.  When he says that, people from the nearby houses wander outside to see what is going on.

          Great, this is getting out of control.  I came here to discreetly bring him in.  Glen yells out, "Mom, help me."

          His mother balls her hands up into fists and starts banging them into my back.

          I spin around. "Lady, if you don't stop, I'll bring you in as well."  I keep one hand on Glen's wrists push her back into the house, and close the door.

          Glen, with his back to me, turns his head over his shoulder. "What are you doing this for?"

          "I'm doing what I should have done a long time ago.  I'm arresting you," I say, reaching behind my back with my free hand, grabbing my cuffs and slapping them on his wrists.

          "For what?"

          "For all the hell you've caused this town."