Chapter 29

Chapter 29 

As soon as I sit down at my desk, Josh bursts into my office. "We just got a call that Dr. Downey didn't report to work. He had a surgery scheduled and never posted. Mrs. Downey was also supposed to be at a function in town, and she didn't show up either. A neighbor went to check on them and said there is no answer at the house."  

I take a breath. "Okay, let's go check it out." 

At the door, Josh grabs my arm. "Victor said they would start stepping things up. If the Downeys are also taken out, that would make for three people in one night." 

"I know. Let's hope that there is just a misunderstanding. Everyone is on edge," I say. 

"It's not like Dr. Downey to miss a surgery," Josh says. 

I snap, "You think I don't know that Josh? Let's just go over there and see what we find. Is that okay with you?" 

He puts his hands up. "Fine, Clark, I was pointing it out." 

I pull my coat off the hanger and put it on. "Call Bear and tell him to meet us over there," I say and walk out of my office. 

"It's his day off. He's worked seven days in a row." 

I spin around and am about to yell at Josh, but I catch myself. "Just call him."  

The front door opens and Chip, the DA, comes in wearing gray slacks, a blue shirt with paisley yellow suspenders and a matching bow tie. "Clark, I need to talk to you." 

The room starts to spin, and I feel pain in my chest. I can't breathe. I think I'm going to faint. Josh says something to me, but I can't make it out. His lips are moving, but I'm incapable of absorbing anything he says. He grabs me by both my shoulders and looks me in the eyes. "You okay Clark?" 

Am I okay? No, I think I'm having a nervous breakdown and losing my mind. My marriage, my kids, the drugs and the investigation. I'm under an avalanche. I need to get control. I catch a breath. I can get through this. I've been in bad spots before. This will all work itself out. 

"I'm fine," I get out. "Chip, you're going to have come back some other time. This is an emergency." 

He puts his hand inside his suit coat and pulls out a leather appointment book and a pen. "When are you available?" he asks as he licks the tip of his pen getting ready to write. He actually licked the pen. I should take it out of his hand and jam it into his eye. 

"I don't know. I have a lot going on." 

"We all have a lot going on, but this is important." 

I walk past him. "I know, but I have something urgent right now. Come by some other time." 

I open the door to leave and hear Chip from inside say, "We could go to lunch. Maybe at the country club."  

The fucking country club. I hate that place, and I hate Chip with his little book and his stupid pen. Him and the judge sitting around all day drinking martinis and talking about their stock portfolios and wine collections.  

"Send me an e-mail and we'll schedule something," I yell back before the door can close. I walk up to my car. The front door opens and Josh comes out. I yell, "Josh, you go over to the Downey's, and I'll meet you there.