Chapter Eight

The darkness eased gradually until I resurfaced. The room before had gone alongside William, Adele, Jenkins and all of the rest. Instead I found myself laid out on a king-sized four poster bed, curled up on rich furs and silks. Sitting up, I caught sight of myself in the mirror facing me. Vampires could bruise but not in a way similar to humans. When a vampire bruised, dark blue blotches covered the skin but these blotches faded easily and more quickly than human bruises depending on whether you kept yourself sustained or not. A lot of force was needed to make a vampire bruise. Currently, my cheeks were covered in dark blue blotches that passed by chin and continued down my neck. I shuddered at the memory of William clutching at my neck and then at my face. William?

Adele?

Hang on a second... Why wasn't I dead?

Right on cue, the door next to the mirror swung open and a small, brunette vampire entered. Natasha.

"Ah, Jenkins, our guest is awake," she smiled, talking to the vampire guard as if he was stationed outside. Which he probably was in hindsight. "Please allow us some alone time to discuss a few matters.... Of course, I'd be fine." As the door shut, I sprang from the bed and lunged for her.

"Where the hell is Adele? William? What the hell happened? Why am I here?" I screamed, pushing her against the wall with what I hoped was enough force to bruise. "Where's Adele?"

"Calm down, Gabriella. Allow me a moment and then I'll explain all. Would you like some wine and blood? When I was your age, it was all I could bare to drink at times." I nodded to her request and she clapped her hands. 

"Demi." A human servant appeared at the door, curtsying lowly to us. "Bring me a glass of O negative and bring my guest here some O negative mixed with vintage red wine. And be quick with it."

"Yes, Ma'am," she replied, nodding her head. In less than a minute, she returned, carrying a tray laden with two glasses. As the scent of blood hit me, I remembered my hunger. Demi turned to see me staring at her hungrily and she visibly paled. Bowing lowly to Natasha, she sped out of the room backwards, only just remembering to deposit our drinks. 

"Adele is alive and well. Though I was not in the room at the time, Jenkins has informed me of what has happened and I must say, Adele did a surprising yet rather courageous deed." She sat down on a small, antique couch and patted the space next to her for me to sit down. "Jenkins says that when William began to... apply pressure..." Her fingers stroked at the bruises on my cheeks. "... She flew across the room. In a way, it was rather indecent what she did to him but it proved to be a lifesaver. Literally!"

"What did she do?" My throat felt tight, almost like William's fingers were around them again. The wine and blood was ridiculously delicious and it seemed to calm me slightly. "Did she hurt him?"

"She didn't hurt him," Natasha coyly smiled. "She did a trick only a practiced wife could complete. The shock of her action, though inoffensive, made William let go of you. Jenkins was decent enough to bring your unconscious form to me and to leave the couple in private..." 

"What did they do?" I didn't want to ask but I needed another answer to the one that was in my head. I knew the special trick Adele had. The inoffensive tactic. I had watched her perform it on countless human men whilst I sneaked up behind and bit their throats whilst they growled with passion. She could stand at one side of the room and then leap through the air, ripping their trousers as hastily pulled them off. Her rosy lips would meet their special place and then they'd be gone in a tidal wave of pleasure. The thought of her doing such an intimate act on someone like William however sickened me. 

"Don't be angry, Gabriella. Adele saved your life. A final act of love." 

"Final act? So William plans to kill her?"