Chapter One

3 years had passed since that fateful day in the forest.

When I was really little, I used to dream of being 18. I'd have an adult face and womanly curves. I would get an amazing sports car for my birthday and Mom and Dad would splash out and buy me a studio apartment. Preferably, in some bohemian area of London or Paris. I would ditch school and get a cool job as an illustrator and spend my days being paid for my random doodles. Lolly, my tabby cat, would move in with me and we'd spend every evening, watching the sunset with a glass of wine and a cigarette. Being 18 would have ruled.

My 18th birthday was yesterday.

I didn't look 18. I didn't get my car. Mom and Dad were just a faded memory, along with school and Lolly and any dreams that I had. Adele told me to stop moping. She didn't need to listen to my depressing thought. She ordered me to look towards the present and the future. I should let go of measuring time. After three hundred years, I wouldn't be able to tell my birth year, let alone, birth date.

Adele would know that.

She had been the mysterious blonde woman on the day of the car crash. She had freed me from the wreckage and carried me into the forest. It was there that I died in her arms.

That's right. I died. I had foolishly forgotten to use my seat belt and, when our car collided with another, I had been thrown straight through the windscreen. The glass shredded me up pretty bad and the force of my body smashing into the other car, caused several vital bones to shatter. You may wonder why I act so nonchalent when I describe this. I mean, for crying out loud, I got killed in a pretty gruesome way. But over the last three years, I have witnessed enough death to find that it had just become part of my life. Like how a baker, who spent hours a day cooking bread, would not be able to smell warm bread at home. Death just blended in to my everyday life.

 It was Adele who had found me. The crash had knocked my parents out cold and the other driver was in too much pain to notice the blonde figure, gently pulling me from his windscreen. Shielded by the trees, she had sped through the forest, cradling me to her chest like a baby. I could not remember any of this. It was only later on, when she told me the story, did I actually see.

The shards of glass had left my face unrecognisable. Numerous cuts and a large volume of blood had painted it a deep, dark crimson with tiny fragments of glass, glowing in the July sunshine like glitter. My t-shirt had ripped, revealing a plain bra and modest cleavage, soaked also in blood. Adele scooped me up like a fragile child, before turning and fleeing into the forest, graceful as a cheetah. She watched the faint movement of my chest rising and falling and felt my heart flutter beneath her hand. Placing me on the ground, she watched as my eyes opened slowly before closing again. Leaning over me, she caught my final breath with her lips on mine.

You see, i should have died then and there. I would have wanted to die then and there. The crash had left my body scarred and broken. But, you see, Adele was no ordinary bystander.

She was a vampire.

From a self-inflicted wound in her wrist, she fed my bloody corpse with the nectar of her own life: her blood. At first, nothing happened. I remained a broken carcass, laid out spread-eagled on a carpet of dead leaves. Then, just as Adele began to lose hope, my heart shuddered. Weak at first, the beats became stronger with each second. Adele described her emotions to me: the pride that flooded through her; the love she felt towards me; the hope for the future. I remember her telling me all this. Her words narrating as I watched the small film play in my head. As she described the emotions, I too felt them.

On the third day, as my new vampire eyes opened, it was Adele's face that I saw first. It was the faint perfume of her body that I smelt first. It was her lips that I felt meet mine as she gave me yet another ethereal kiss.