Chapter 20

I was no longer allowed to go on the rescue mission. Which is perfectly understandable after Temari told Lady Chiyo about my current situation... Little traitor. But Kakashi had this brilliant idea that, in all honesty, I liked better. Or at least, I liked the idea of it better. It has been cleared that I am not for the first time in my life using my own chakra and lacing it in my voice for vocal jutsu's. What I am in fact doing it borrowing chakra from my baby somehow. No one really understands it, but according to Sakura, my own chakra is not flowing, but there is a lot of chakra activity in my belly.

She says my baby has an abnormally high chakra flow, and that might be how I'm using it. Either way it's making it possible for me to do a very important jutsu that could help Gaara before they even find him. Kakashi was giving me a last minute lesson on how to do this jutsu before he had to leave. "Just follow my hand, alright?" I nodded, and slowly did the unfamiliar hand signs. "Once you have done the hand signs, all you have to do is focus the chakra to your head and expel it in the air around you."

"How do I do that?"

"Just feel the pulse in your belly and push it up with your mind until it reaches your head. To expel it, let out your breath and think of wind. Trust me, you'll know if it worked."

Okay, I think I can do this. I slowly did the hand signs and felt the chakra pulse in my belly, my baby giving me access to his supply. The trail to my head was slow and frustrating, but it made it eventually. With one relaxing exhale of breath the air around me became alive and buzzed with the power of chakra. It was amazing, beautiful. My mind began to attach to the wonder of what I was feeling, but Kakashi pulled me out. "Focus." Right! "Take five long deep breaths, focusing on Gaara's aura, understand? You know it well enough, right?"

"Yes."

"Good. For now though, focus on attaching the chakra in the air to my aura."

"Yes." This is hard! It was hard enough to control the chakra when it was in my body but now that's in the air I'm having some real issues! I'm not a ninja people! My chakra flow stopped a long time ago! But I have to do this. Anything to help Gaara. Anything to help bring him home. And somehow, that thought illuminated the aura around Kakashi and the chakra bound to it.

My mind was no longer there, on the roof top, listening to Kakashi. Instead the world had turned a vivid green with many hills and crystal clear sky. The air was fresh and reminded me of Konoha. "That's how it's done." I whirled around and caught Kakashi in a tree, lounging and looking out to the hills for green grass. "Every unconscious is different, and you might not always find the owner right away. And being the unconscious there are a many things you can do here that you can't in the real world. For instance," He whipped his hand to the side and a bright red apple appeared in his hand. "Instant manifestation. All it requires is a little bit of brain power."

This is amazing! I never once thought it possible but here it is! The unconscious is accessible. It's a door just waiting to be opened.

Kakashi was in front of me know. "To leave the jutsu, all you have to do is pinch yourself."

"Like in a dream?"

He chuckled. "Yes, exactly like in a dream." I looked down at my arm and pinched it hard, finding myself on the roof once more. "That's all there is to it. Think you could do it again?" I nodded, still in a surprised state. "Good. And you know the objective of this right?"

I looked down. This was the part of it I didn't like so much. "I have to keep Gaara there, in the unconscious, so he doesn't die."

"Right. Now on the chance that his unconscious does disappear, don't panic. Just come out of the jutsu because it might mean he consciously ended the dream himself."

"Right." He smiled and tossled my hair, earning a playful glare.

"Good girl." reaching into his weapons holster, Kakashi handed me a small scroll. "This is the transportation scroll. It is already pre set to a clearing in the woods near the hide out. We plan to direct the end of the rescue in that clearing. Hold Gaara in the jutsu long enough for us to get there, understood?" I nodded again and held the scroll to me in determination. We could do this. We could bring him home.

He left me to myself. In one hour I was to activate the transportation scroll and find Gaara's unconscious. Just one hour. With a deep breath I headed down and walked through Suna's business district. It was a nice day, and somehow I was filled with glee. I was going to see Gaara and help him! I had so much catching up to do with him, so many things to tell him. My hand rested on my lower belly where our child sat. I wonder what he'll think of you? My little Nemo. Yes I gave him a nickname! It's so cute!

My eyes landed on something in a shop window and I stopped. A memory was playing, last time I saw Gaara, before leaving his office, I watched him grip at empty air near his throat. What was he reaching for? Looking at the small object a bit of realization hit me, causing me to look down at my fingers, small scars on the tips as constant reminders of something that happened so long ago. Is that what he was reaching for? Even after so long he still forgets it's not there?

With a thought in my head I entered the store and purchased the small item, pocketing it and running home for what I needed to remake my gift. It didn't take long. Just a little time to tie everything together. When it was done... I felt tear gather in my eyes... It's been so long... But sometimes I think about that day, the pain, the confusion. But it's because of that day that things could progress the way they did. I never regretted what I did.

I looked over at my bedside clock and smiled. "Come on, Nemo. Lets go get Daddy." With that thought and great feeling of love in my heart I opened the scroll and felt the wind rushing past my ear as I was taken from my room and placed in the sweet smelling grassy clearing. My heart warmed as the sun filtered in and the breeze picked up my hair. Now was the time.

Every thought I had was one of love and protection. My Gaara. We'll save him. He'll be okay. My belly felt warm and I took that as Nemo agreeing with me. Once again, my hands made the slow, sloppy hand signs and moved the chakra up to my head. The air buzzed, sparkled even, and I reached out to Gaara, slowly binding the chakra wit his aura. It was taking longer than it had with Kakashi. Something didn't feel right. My concentration increased as the chakra and picked up his aura, faint, but there.

Finding my voice, I sang with all the passion and conviction I could muster while still holding my concentration. Can't I even dream? Dream of my life with Gaara and little Nemo? My voice filling the air, Gaara's aura became stronger, pulsating almost. Could he feel my vocal jutsu? The chakra was now being embraced by Gaara's aura and the sweet grassy smell was replaced by hot, dry air and the smell of sand. Home. The sky was indiscriminant, blending in with the flat horizon. There wasn't much activity here, but I needed to find Gaara. Hands clasped together, I sang the first line for our song, my call to him.

"On a small, little shore, where the giant bi waves roar." I waited. Did he not hear me? The time seemed painfully slow. As soon as I was about to sing it again... the answer came.

"I walked there alone." The voice said with a dip of longing emotion. I spun around, my eyes seeing him, his red hair, those deep blue eyes, his tall frame. But what caught my eye the most and brought tears to my eyes, was the thin smile gracing his lips. "My feet cold and sore."

The tears spilled down my face as I ran into his ready arms. "Gaara!"