Sai's Real Mission

"What's a life with no fun?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Those pictures are weird," Naruto said as he surveyed Sai's picture book.

"And Sai drew them?" Yamato inquired.

I nodded. "He created this book by himself."

"The centerfold is out of place," Sakura said, flipping to the center of the book. I stared at it as well. In the centerfold was an incomplete drawing. A boy had been drawn, but he had no face, and the left page was blank.

"Not to mention creepy," Naruto murmured. "What do you think it means, Minx?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Why are you asking me?"

"Well, you're the one who talked to Sai the most," Sakura said. "Plus, you're an artist, like him. You should be able to interpret what this means better than anyone else."

I stared at the book in her hands for a few more moments before nodding. I took the book from her, flipping through the pages. "From what I can tell... This book is supposed to tell a story about each of the boys on the front and back cover," I decided as I saw pictures of both boys fighting different enemies.

"The right page always shows the boy... And the left page has a different character," Sakura continued.

"It's not just that," I said. I flipped to another page. "See? Whenever the boy fights an enemy, he takes their weapons, and he wears them on the next page."

"Like spoils of war," Naruto guessed, and I nodded.

"The story is the same for both boys, just flipped," I said. "The story is trying to say that with each enemy the boys fight, they gain things. Wisdom, knowledge, strength... Even weapons. And then each boy is pictured on the next page, wearing what he's earned."

"The dark-haired boy... He looks a lot like Sai," Naruto said.

"Maybe he was telling his own story," Yamato guessed.

"But then... Who's the white-haired boy?" Naruto inquired.

"It's... Probably Sai's older brother," Sakura said. "Sai told me about his older brother... And his older brother is dead."

"Then that means... The centerfold was supposed to be Sai and his brother, together," I finished.

Suddenly, Yamato's head twitched slightly. "That's enough for now. My clone found the location of Orochimaru's hideout... And we've got to get a move on."

I gulped quietly. 

It's finally time... Isn't it, Sasuke?