Chapter One

Dedicated to Selfdestruct as they were the first person to add the story to there library!

The photo is of Broderick: Its Theo Theodoridis.

The best feeling in the world is when you have the stage to yourself, singing your heart out while admirers whistled and sang along, happy to have you there. That's where I was, on the stage of the Mulberry Lounge, singing a Jo Dee Messina song, loving the attention it was getting. The attention I was getting. That day I wore my small, polka-dotted dress with my strappy high heels. I was feeling like a celebrity, the way the admirers watched me dance, my dress swaying around my long legs gracefully.

By the time I was done, everyone was clapping, whistling, and whooping for me. Proud, I smiled the whole way through the lounge. Stopping to see Todd, the owner, for my check as I continued to smile.

"You were wonderful up there, Sarah," he said to me, brushing my fingers as he put the check in my hand. "You look amazing too. I just love your haircut." He twirled a finger around one of my dark, straight and shoulder-length locks.

"Thank you Todd, you are really sweet," I said, waving my goodbyes as I pushed my way through the crowd to the bar, where my purse and jacket were hiding behind some empty whiskey bottles.

On my way to the door, people stopped me to tell me how great I was. My cheeks began to hurt from the smiling, along with my throbbing feet. As much as I loved the lounge, I needed to get out. It was hot, stuffy, and the furry, red carpet always made me want to sneeze.

As I got to the door, an arm shot out and stopped me. Shocked, I looked around to find anyone who noticed this, and when nobody did, I looked up to find a huge, black man.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't let you by without a hug." He grinned, his white teeth contrasting greatly with his skin.

"Oh Brad, you scared me!" I squealed, hugging him tightly. Brad was one of the best bartenders at the lounge, making friends with everyone he meets. Yet, he was my best friend and I was his.

"I'm sorry, honey," he laughed, ruffling my perfectly straightened hair. "Where are you headed so early? Hang out for a bit. I get off in a half hour." Oh, how I wished I could have stayed.

"I'm really sorry Brad, but I have this essay due tomorrow and I really need to work on it. It's already nine." I put a hand on the door handle, letting him know that I was serious.

"Okay, but call me when you get home, okay?" He asked, eyes traveling to the bar as though not paying attention to the conversation. My suspicions were confirmed when he didn't wait for an answer. "Sorry Sarah, but I need to get to the bar. Are you working tomorrow?"

"I'm working Friday."

"Alright, I will see you Friday then." He smiled at me, giving me another hug and rushing to the bar where Todd was beckoning to him.