Chapter 11

Carson had his hands folded awkwardly in his lap as he sat next to Josiah. They had been in Ayden’s hospital room for about fifteen minutes now. The crying had stopped a little while ago, and now all three men were sitting in silence as they watched Ayden.

The atmosphere felt so dismal that Walt didn’t even know what to say. Josiah felt hollow like never before, and Carson couldn’t keep his eyes off of his best friend.

So when the blonde girl finally stirred and groaned quietly, he jumped almost out of his seat. Josiah instantly sat up straighter and snapped his eyes onto his girlfriend. Walt watched the boys’ reactions in amusement.

Ayden slowly blinked her eyes open and lazily turned her head from the ceiling over to her father. The man smiled and gave a little wave. Ayden twitched her lips slightly in return but she felt too tired to give much more than that.

Walt lifted a hand and pointed to Ayden’s side. “You’ve got more visitors, Ayd,” he said softly.

Ayden blinked and slowly turned her head to see what her father was talking about. She couldn’t help the grin that plastered itself onto her face when she saw Josiah and Carson sitting there. She almost wanted to cry, she was so happy to see them.

The blonde looked right past the haunting looks laying underneath the boys’ awed faces. She just couldn’t believe they were there right then. Ayden loved them both more than almost anything, and to see the confirmation that Carson was alright despite whatever it was that had happened to him, made everything that she had gone through worth it.

“I’m so glad you guys are here,” she said quietly. Her voice was tired, but nobody took notice of it. “I love you guys.”

Josiah and Carson both reached for the girl’s hand that wasn't attached to her broken arm at the same time. They paused somewhat awkwardly for a second, but Carson pulled back first and let Josiah grab his girlfriend’s hand.

“I love you too,” Josiah said earnestly. He raked his eyes over Ayden’s face, focusing on her dulled green eyes. “God, I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Ayden smiled weakly at the black-haired boy, but then looked to Carson. “Hey, Car.”

Carson bit his lips in a futile attempt to stop the bright grin from attacking his face. “Hey. ‘Bout time you woke up, huh? We’ve been waiting to see you for ages.”

Ayden couldn’t help the tiny laugh, and she quickly winced from the pain the movement caused. Josiah tensed up, and Carson’s face fell. Ayden shook her head. “It’s okay. Sucks I can’t even laugh. I feel like I’m in prison.”

"Don't worry," Walt said, jumping back into the conversation. He smiled fondly at the kids in front of him. "You'll be better and out of here in no time, sweetheart."

Ayden grinned at her father, thankful that he was able to be so positive in a time like this. Josiah desperately wanted to believe what Walt was saying, but he was finding it difficult. He wasn't normally pessimistic, but he definitely didn't want to get his hopes up just to have them squashed. For now he decided he was going to focus only on the moment and not on the past or future.

"Your ear is cut," Ayden quietly pointed out. Her eyes were locked on Carson. Every other person in the room besides her froze at her observation. The blonde narrowed her eyes feeling considerably confused. "How did that happen?"

Carson stopped breathing and turned wide eyes onto Walt who was standing stiffly. Clearly he was uncomfortable with this turn of conversation just as much as the others were.

Josiah felt his heart dislodge itself from his chest and drop down into his stomach. After the last two--nearly three--days since this whole fiasco Josiah was beginning to recognize the sensation and gain a familiarity with it. He didn't particularly appreciate it, but it was what it was.