Chapter 2

Later that evening the three friends were lounging in Josiah’s apartment a few blocks away from campus. Carson was laying down on the sofa in the living room. He had his legs draped across Ayden’s lap and she was playing with the wrinkled fabric of his jeans.

The apartment was dim, the only light on was the overhead one above the stove in the kitchen. The old, medium-sized television in front of the best friends in the living room was muted, replaying the main menu screen for the movie they were about to watch.

“Babe, can you hurry up?” Ayden called.

“Yeah,” Carson joined in sarcastically. “The movie’s gonna get up and run away. We’ll never get to watch it.”

Ayden glared at her friend and smacked his stomach while Josiah’s laughter filtered out to them from the kitchen. The microwave’s fan stopped running and the timer started to beep.

“One second,” Josiah said. “I just gotta put this in a bowl and I’ll be right there.”

Ayden sighed. Carson looked at her and nudged her stomach with his knee. “I don’t know why you’re so impatient, anyway. You’ve seen Taken before.”

“Yeah, but I like it a lot,” the blonde argue. “I want to watch it.”

“Alright, alright,” Josiah said. He flicked the light off and snatched the bowl of fresh popcorn off of the counter as he left the room. When he got back to the couch he held the bowl out to Ayden. “Here.”

Ayden smiled up at her boyfriend and puckered her lips for a kiss. Josiah chuckled but gave in to the adorable look on her face. He leaned down and gave his girlfriend a quick kiss before he backed off. Carson watched on with a small smile. The brunette was sincerely happy for his two friends. He was glad they had each other and were so in love.

Carson didn’t wish any ill feelings toward them whenever they showed affection in front of them, but he’d be lying if he said it didn’t suck at least a little. Even after all this time, he still wished he had been the one to run into Josiah that day on campus, not Ayden. Maybe if things had played out like that, Carson would have been dating the other guy. Well, he might have if Josiah were gay. Carson usually left that part out of his thoughts when he daydreamed about dating his friend.

Josiah moved over to the last open cushion of the couch, at the opposite end of where Carson was laying. Not even thinking about it, since it wasn’t that unfamiliar of an occurrence, Josiah picked up his friend’s feet before he sat down, dropping them back into place.

Carson didn’t mind, at least he got to keep laying down; he was already so comfortable. “Hey, toss me that sweatshirt, Joe,” he said.

Josiah reached behind him and grabbed the garment off of the back of the sofa and rolled it up before throwing it over to his friend. The boys laughed as it knocked Ayden’s handful of popcorn away just as she was bringing it up to her mouth.

The blonde scowled immediately and smacked both of her friends on the arm. “Thanks, guys,” she said sarcastically.

“Let’s get this show on the road!” Carson said, while Josiah still laughed. He tucked his friend’s sweatshirt underneath his head to use it as a pillow. “Somebody hit play already.”

“Now who’s impatient?” Ayden quipped.

Carson stuck his tongue out at the blonde and took some popcorn from the bowl Ayden had resting on top of him. Josiah reached forward and plucked the remote off of the coffee table. As he pressed the play button, he propped his feet up on the little table.

Carson turned his attention to the screen, but he did notice Josiah shifting under his legs to press closer to Ayden. The green-eyed boy put an arm around on the back of the sofa behind his girlfriend. Ayden looked over and smiled before kissing him on the cheek while the movie rolled on.