Chapter 5

Carson spent the entire day hanging out at Josiah's place with his two best friends. The three of them didn't get up to that much, they usually kept things casual and that was plenty enough entertainment for their little group.

Ayden worked on a paper for one of her environmental science classes for most of the day. Josiah got lost in an old book Carson had seen him read countless times. All the while, Carson alternated between watching television and wasting time on his laptop.

Around three o’clock the three of them decided to get out of the apartment. Soaking up the sun and fresh, spring air, they all walked out of Josiah’s building that was located at the south corner of their university’s campus. Josiah and Ayden walked hand in hand, taking roads and cutting through grass to get to the Corner Store in the centre of the campus for lunch. Carson walked along with them, standing next to Josiah on the opposite side of where Ayden was.

It normally took about ten minutes to walk there, but the three of them were going slower than usual, wanting to soak in the beautiful day. They got lunch, walked around the campus aimlessly for a little while and then headed back to Josiah's place.

Later in the evening, Ayden was still hard at work on her paper, and Josiah was watching a cooking channel. Carson had been taking a short cat nap, and woke up when he almost fell off of the couch when he rolled over.

"Smooth," Josiah commented, smirking at his younger friend.

Carson rolled his eyes and stuck tongue out by a little. "Whatever."

The brunette looked around the room, and Josiah answered him before he even asked the question.

"Ayd's in the kitchen."

Carson sat up and looked past the back of the couch, and sure enough, she was sitting at the table. Her back was to the boys. Carson saw the large, noise-drowning headphones she was wearing that were actually Josiah's, and he assumed the blonde was in some sort of writing zone.

When the younger boy turned back around, he saw Josiah's attention was back on the television programme.Carson watched for a moment as the cook or chef or whatever threw around random ingredients and things that he had no idea about.

"What's he making?" the brunette asked, mildly curious.

"Chicken," the darker boy said. "With sun-dried tomato, egg plant, and basil."

Still not quite sure what his friend was saying, Carson said, "Ah, right." Carson checked the time on the cable box and saw that it was nearing six. Standing up, he yawned and stretched out his stiff muscles from sleep. "Well, I think I'm gonna head home for the night."

Josiah instantly lost his focus on the TV and turned his head to look at his friend. "Oh. Want me to walk you?"

The boy with indigo eyes pursed his lips and fixed his eyes on the other. "Joe."