Chapter 14 -Making Kylie Matter

Chapter 14 –Making Kylie Matter

Recovering takes time, it take's lots and lots of time. It isn't the kind of thing you can stick a Band-Aid on and it's all better. It's the kind of thing that scabs over, you pick at it, and it hurts…then hurts more. Finally, when you are all done dealing with the pain, the scab, and the recovery, there is a nice little scar to remind you. To remind you of all the pain you felt when it happened.

***

Ben stomped into the apartment and dropped a plastic bag onto the kitchen table. He collapsed over the back of the couch his head deep in a pillow. Gwen exited her room in a hotel uniform. She glanced at Ben, not thinking anything of it. Gwen's high heals took her to the table. She lifted out a small blue book with her manicured nails and flipped through the blank pages.

"What did you waste your money on now?" Gwen spoke with apathy towards the topic.

"My therapist says I need a journal, since Peter left she thought it would be a good idea to write my thoughts down on paper." Ben explained pulling himself up. "I thought I might as well get a blue one."

"You know Colby is going to read this," Gwen placed the book on the table.

"Yeah, I know," Ben replied standing up and snatching the book up. "Great, now I have homework, I hate homework."

A smirk appeared on Gwen's lips. "Hah, I didn't think of that." She walked over to the door and pulled it open. "If you need me to look over your thesis statement, I will." Gwen walked outside.

Ben peered down at his new blue journal. Everything felt new now: a promotion, a journal, and a world without Peter. It was new, Ben had to accept it. He walked around and sat down on the couch. A pen lay on the coffee table and he reached around to grab it.

He sat looking at the blank page and shrugged, there was nothing he wanted to write about.

***

Ben found his way to a small coffee shop just off Oxford Street. He sat down and stared at some crumbs on the table. He felt alone now, abandoned. Even if the person didn't show up he couldn't imagine feeling any lower than he did. Ben stared at the seat across from him and couldn't picture anyone in it. There was just an empty chair, which had no hope of being filled.

"Hey," Seth greeted sliding into the chair. "Long time no see, you got a haircut, it looks nice."

"What?" Ben reached up and felt his hair. It had been a long time since he had seen Seth. "Yeah, I did."

"Okay, so let's do some catching up. You first," Seth leaned over the table his eyes locked onto Ben.

Ben didn't want to go over all the wounds inflicted on him the past month. He didn't want to unravel all the mental turmoil he faced.

"I got promoted and was on television." Ben brushed over all the other dramatics that happened in his life.

"That's great." Seth replied. "You are just flying through life. A successful businessman, life must be going great for you now. You're independent, confident, and rich."

"Yes, except…no." Ben replied and let out a little chuckle, more of sadness that Seth couldn't be more wrong.

Seth burst out in laughter. "Oh, don't be modest. I am just a humble chief. That's what happened, Dell Delany came to my restaurant and I got to make his meal and bring it out to him. He is much cuter in person." Seth mused then turned to the counter. "Let me go grab something warm."

Ben turned out the window and noticed people walking by. He fell into his head in a daydream until Seth came back with two cups of hot chocolate.
The day proceeded on with idle chatter around cups of hot chocolate and slow conversation along the street. The emotions and feelings with it were nothing extraordinary. They eventually entered Seth's house and found a chatty group of girls in the kitchen. This was the first time Ben ever came to Seth's house with anyone inside other than them two.