Chapter 2 - Everyone Works

When we become adults we soon discover that we have to care for ourselves. It isn't as simple as our parents make it look. We have to cook our own dinner. We have to go to the store to buy the food. We have to grow up and get a job to buy the food we are going to cook. It is a repetitive process that can get and does get annoying. To fend for oneself makes it difficult to understand just how people can live. It almost explains why, in the medieval days, everyone grew their own food.

***

Colby sat down in one of three fold out chairs which surrounded a fold out table of the same brand. The table once sat in her small rented room; in a Texas house where an obese family presided. It was her prime location for photography. Now the table, like her, took a trip overseas and lived in a new apartment. As the brunette stared around her new living space she couldn't help but imagine the possibilities. She spotted things that would come to be in the future and dreamt of luxury. The small living room was also an entryway into the apartment. To one side some counters and cabinets formed a kitchen complete with a ratty old fridge and stove. The green linoleum tile made a hideous pattern and that was the only thing Colby refused to like about the apartment. It was probably built in the 80's Colby came to think.

"Have you found a job yet?" Gwen barked her eyes squinted as she shuffled into the living room from her room. They each had their own small room but shared a bathroom. The living room/kitchen/entranceway was the common gathering place. Everything was scattered about and still messy from the move.

"Well, I made hot cross buns for breakfast." Colby smiled in a cheerful sing-song voice. "I love England; it is such a cute country, with hot cross buns, like the song." Colby laughed as she rocked back in her chair. She was still in her pajamas and held her bun with delight.

"I take that as a no, no job…no money…crap we are going to have to go back to that hell hole." Gwen shrugged and slumped down in one of the plastic chairs which squeaked angrily. The shortest of the three, Gwen, was the person who liked to move the fastest. She was the farthest along in unpacking her stuff and wanted to get full on into this new life.

"Well, we should all go on a job hunt today," Colby advised standing straighter than before. She gave off a radiant smile and nodded vigorously agreeing with her own statement. "No more sightseeing, it is time to crack down."

"Smelt food," Ben wandered out from his room in pajama bottoms and a t-shirt. He walked over to the table and picked up a bun taking a bite. The wooden floor was cold on his feet and he wanted to crawl back into bed. The lure of food and growl from his stomach was too powerful.

"Sleeping Beauty has woken from her slumber." Gwen joked. "Shame the prince wasn't there."

Ben looked at Gwen from the corner of his eyes. He chewed his bun silently trying to recall his dream. It was a sensual dream and he knew from the fact that he awoke with a hard on that there was definitely a prince in it.

***

Ben needed a new jacket. His was old and felt like it was going to fall apart any moment. There were sentimental memories linked to this old jacket and he wasn't sure if he was ready to part with them. Ben's mother called him a pack rat but he didn't see items and just junk, he saw each one as a special memory. As Ben grew, he was able to give stuff away, but it was still difficult. He had this jacket when he was in college and although it faired him well, it was time to say goodbye. A man was selling cheep scarves by the street. All the different colors caught his eye and he stopped to glance at them for a few moments. Ben questioned the quality and continued on.