Chapter 8 - Awkward Turtle

Chapter 8 – Awkward Turtle

Life is awkward; it is messy, and dirty. I knew that my life would be filled with insecure and unsure moments when my teacher called me up to her desk. I wrote a piece of poetry about the Donner party. Yeah, I thought it would be cute. It turns out talking about cannibalism with your teacher isn't a comfortable discussion ground.

***

Colby stumbled out of her room and into the bathroom. She had the biggest hangover imaginable. Last night, she went over board and did all the bad things that good girls shouldn't do. Heck, Colby was getting desperate for love now. She watched her roommates swim with guys while she baked pies at home. The brunette didn't want to admit it, but as she looked at her reflection she was the one slouching in the sex department. Colby didn't remember much of last night, just that she went to a bar and got slam-dunk-drunk with tequila.

The girl walked back to her bedroom door and cracked it open. She then spotted a man sliding on his pants and shut the door before he looked up. A smile grew on Colby's lips, her luck was finally changing.

"Someone looks like a train wreck today," Gwen stated coming out of her room and clipping on earrings. "Why are you smiling? It is a Monday, a Monday, no one smiles on Mondays."

"Who is smiling on a Monday," Ben said scratching his head and walking from his room to the kitchen.

"Guess who got laid last night," Colby smirked with a brilliant smile.

"Oh you're joking," Gwen stopped and her mouth dropped into a look of shock. "You got laid on a Sunday, a Sunday, are you serious?" Gwen chortled and followed Ben into the kitchen.

"Sundays are days of rest you know," Ben started the coffee and leaned against the counter. He raised an eyebrow at Colby.

"Question," Gwen began sitting in one of the plastic chairs. "Peter knows your just dating right?"

"Yes," Ben nodded smiling at his truthfulness. He had been completely honest with Peter.

"Does Seth know?" Gwen continued.

Ben paused and his eyes widened. His mind wanted to come up with the perfect excuse why he hasn't told Seth. The man knew there was one. "No, but…"

"Ben you licked whipped cream of that guy's nipple. I think he deserves to know that…" Gwen twisted and looked at the man in Colby's doorway. She didn't smile but gave him a blank stare.

Ben slid off the counter and saw a familiar face. "Oh hello…Barkley," Ben's voice turned into a shrill nervous tone.

"Barkley, that is your name." Colby said figuring out the name of her lover. "You know Ben I see,"

"Yes, I do know Ben," Barkley nodded a silent awkwardness filling the room.

"Yeah, Barkley is…" Ben twitched, "my boss."

Barkley came across as uncomfortable and left the flat saying a quick goodbye and giving a polite nod towards Gwen. Ben turned to Colby his eyes wide and Gwen burst out in laughter.

***

Ben anticipated arriving at work and was nervous about seeing his boss there. It only made matters worse that Colby took the Tube with him to find out all she could about this mysterious man.

"Wow, so he is just so dreamy isn't he? How is he normally? Nice, mean? Is he a flirt?" Colby asked as she leaned up against a pole.

The black windows showed Ben's reflection and he wanted to try and at least appear happier. Ben noticed his mouth curved down more than he wanted.